casting metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right... double the tin and almost double the antimony, so in theory I'd be able to use about half as much... Do you have this stuff in a spreadsheet somewhere or something? :)

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome... thanks OF... I created an excel sheet that shows the percentages when creating an alloy from Monotype... I basically converted the percentages to ounces this way you can just change the amount of pure lead you're adding to get a rough idea of what your ratio will be, I'm digging for BHN formulas so you could potentially omit the Lee BHN tester, but I'm finding that's pretty difficult and doesn't always make mathematical sense. I would attach the spreadsheet but its not an allowed document.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of this has some variations in it, especially when the composition of some of the metal being used is uncertain. Always use caution when dealing with molten metals and follow sound safety habits.

Get a good casting manual and read it. I think Lyman and RCBS both have one in print. The Lyman is a somewhat more in depth study with a easy to follow format. The RCBS is more of a nuts and bolts read.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed... And I know its not an exact science, but as long as I'm careful... I should be alright provided I don't use huge loads... and stuff. The molten metal thing is a given... no kids running around... no alcohol... no water... nothing room temp... etc. etc. etc...

Do you water cool your fresh boolits to harden them?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heat treating has a limited effect, the hardness will wear off over time.
From what I read and heard the hardness starts to fade in as little as a couple months.
I usually load in bulk so I don't mess with the water trick as some of my bullets won't be used for months.
But if you shoot them up pretty quick it will let you stretch you monotype a little farther.

There's a thread on this on the CBA website recently.
You might do a search on it and see what comes up.

Another really good resource is the castboolits guys website.
I'll find the link and post it for you.

Both site have an enourmous amount of information on them.
I tend to spend more time on the CBA site. An old author/writer from the rifleman magazine frequently post there, Ed Harris, and I always enjoyed his writing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom