CCW and college - discussion with a friend of mine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other day a friend of mine were talking about a whole slew of things and the subject came around to the Fort Hood shooting and V. Tech shooting a few years back. He said that he thoguht prohibiting carry on campus was stupid (agree with him there) but that for all intents and purposes, the law prohibiting carry on a college campus didn't really have any teeth (don't agree with him there). I told him he was full of crap and that if caught (with or without a CWL) he would be in mucho trouble and find out there was a lot of teeth behind the law. He disagreed so I told him I would look it up and we made a bet on it

Here are the only relevant sections I have been able to find:

O.S. 21 section 1277, subsection C:
Any person violating the provisions of subsection A of this section
shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine
not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00). Any person
convicted of violating the provisions of this section may be liable for an
administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) upon a
hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of
Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this
section.

O.S. 21 section 1277 subsection D paragraph 3:
The college or university may notify the Oklahoma State Bureau of
Investigation within ten (10) days of a violation of any provision of this
subsection by a licensee. Upon receipt of a written notification of violation, the Bureau shall give a reasonable notice to the licensee and hold a hearing. At the hearing upon a determination that the licensee has violated any provision of this subsection, the licensee may be subject to an administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) and may have the concealed handgun license suspended for three (3) months.

So what I'm getting from this is that all in all, you are looking at:

a misdeameanor
two seperate $250 fines
a 3 month CWL suspension

This doesn't really seem to be that severe. Surely I'm missing something here. Are there any other pertinent federal/state laws that come into play?

Help (me win my bet)!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and probably ending your college carrer, at least at THAT school.

This was the kicker for me while I was in school. Yes, minor legal repercussions, but it would mean that the tens of thousands I'd spent on my college education would be for naught. I didn't want to transfer to Utah or something for my last couple years either.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for your help guys. Sadly, it appears that I will be wearing an OSU shirt tonight...that was the bet :( We were only focused on the legal/criminal consequences, although being expelled certainly is a bad thing as well. Hopefully I don't die from the disgust of wearing an OSU t-shirt

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can keep it in your car, but I would strongly suggest that you practice the "don't ask/don't tell" policy. :nono1:

Yeah we knew that we could at least keep it in the car. Its a little too late for the DA/DT policy. Just about everyone in my mba class knows that i have my CWL. I was the first one in the program to get it so of course i was jumping around and singing about it when classes started back up in august. There have been a few times where i wear a paddle holster (EMPTY) as a form of protest. That raised a few eyebrows over there but that was about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they have someone keeping tabs on things like that down there though lol.

nephets0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah we knew that we could at least keep it in the car. Its a little too late for the DA/DT policy. Just about everyone in my mba class knows that i have my CWL. I was the first one in the program to get it so of course i was jumping around and singing about it when classes started back up in august. There have been a few times where i wear a paddle holster (EMPTY) as a form of protest. That raised a few eyebrows over there but that was about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they have someone keeping tabs on things like that down there though lol.

i have a bad habit of wearing my fletch holster in open view when i'm going to a place that i know prohibits ccw... course if its empty, then the stuffing is in the glove box... but at my work, they cant say chit about it..

Latest posts

Top Bottom