Center fire prep stations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got some christmas cash, and have been looking at some of the prep stations that RCBS(Trim Mate Case Prep Center)
and Hornady have.
I have lots of range brass with crimped primers, so that is going to be the most important feature for me.
Anybody have any pro's or cons about either, or another suggestion?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to look up the product but it sure looks like it has some good reviews. Midway has on sale for the next couple of days plus it appears to have a $10 rebate. With all the great reviews it looks like a winner to me.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the RCBS also. That Hornady looks nice and has more goodies, but they sure are proud of it! For crimped pockets I use an RCBS swaging die on my press.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For crimped primers the Dillon Super Swage is the way to go. I tried the RCBS Case Prep Center with the primer crimp remover - it works but the Dillon is superior when it comes to speed and ease of use. Also, I'd rather swage brass instead of remove brass. I still use the Case Prep Center for cleaning the primer pocket, chamfer / deburring, etc.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good info so far. Keep em coming.:D
I'm looking at the dillon swage since it was brought up.
I don't do that much volume shooting of the 5.56 mil stuff, just have lots of range brass that could be used if the pocket was swaged, or used for trading material.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, I use the Super Swage. I thought up a timesaver a while back.

Years ago I started using the RCBS 9495 Primer pocket swaging tool on a single stage press. THEN, I discovered Dillon's Super Swage.

I came up with an idea using the both of them. The RCBS tool comes with both a large and small swager that fits on the shaft of the single stage press. First, I use the RCBS tool to check the primer pockets to see if they even need swaging. I found that about two thirds of the brass I was about to swage with the Dillon swager didn't need swaging.

Second, It's always been a lot of trial and error for me to get the Dillon Swager adjusted just right. I now use the RCBS tool as a gauge to make sure I have the Dillon swager rod adjusted right. I swage a case with the Dillon swager and check it with the RCBS tool. Adjust as needed and you're done.

Now all I have to do is check the primer pocket with the RCBS tool and if it passes throw it in a bucket and move on. If it doesn't pass, run it through the Dillon swager

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although Ive never used the dlllon swage I'm not a huge fan of the process especially for 223. The rod has to be thin enough to easily fit down into the case and then if it is adjusted too long or if you get a piece of brass that sneaks in with a taller webbing then you can bend the rod destroying it.

I'll stick with my pocket reamer.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to start loading .223 and I have a lot of brass that I've collected. Most of its Remington but I also have a lot of LC, Federal, etc....

I've thought about buying the Dillon, but my main question is how do I know if it has a military pocket and needs to be swaged?

Latest posts

Top Bottom