Center fire prep stations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to start loading .223 and I have a lot of brass that I've collected. Most of its Remington but I also have a lot of LC, Federal, etc....

I've thought about buying the Dillon, but my main question is how do I know if it has a military pocket and needs to be swaged?

I stand to be corrected, but all that I have, will have a small ring around the primer. Once you recognise it, sortin goes pretty quick

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. I just went and looked at a batch I had separated and I see what you mean by the ring around the primer.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although Ive never used the dlllon swage I'm not a huge fan of the process especially for 223. The rod has to be thin enough to easily fit down into the case and then if it is adjusted too long or if you get a piece of brass that sneaks in with a taller webbing then you can bend the rod destroying it.

I'll stick with my pocket reamer.

Same here and to me it seems a properly reamed pocket seats the new primer easier. I started out swagging then reaming and still do that for brass I am trading, but for brass I am going to use I just ream it. I am thinking about the Trim Mate because it will use the reamers I already have but will make it even easier.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dunno the Dillon is pretty cool.

Many thousands of 223 reloads with swaged brass are put downrange every major rifle or 3 gun match, and companies produce tons of reloaded 223 using swaged brass.

I don't really see the problem with swaging the pockets.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Although Ive never used the dlllon swage I'm not a huge fan of the process especially for 223. The rod has to be thin enough to easily fit down into the case and then if it is adjusted too long or if you get a piece of brass that sneaks in with a taller webbing then you can bend the rod destroying it.

I'll stick with my pocket reamer.

If you manage to kill it Dillon will replace it, the company has a good enough reputation I'll buy their products without much anxiety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom