Cerakote/Duracoat/Krylon question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of the plan of my AR build is to cerakote the upper, lower, and buffer tube FDE (with FDE furniture too of course). I plan on either having Harsh Firearms do it (haven't gotten a quote yet, still months away from being able to afford that) or buying the equipment myself (definitely the more expensive option).

Anyway, my question is whether Duracoat or Krylon will reasonably bond to Cerakote? I'd like to have a "base" coat of FDE cerakote upon which I can apply Duracoat or Krylon for various schemes. Imagine FDE base with drab green as a secondary color.

Being a ceramic, will anything bond to Cerakote?

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200319461_200319461

The above is what I use to apply all my Duracoat. May I ask why you would want to Cerakote first then Duracoat? I have 4 firearms in the safe that I did with Duracoat and 1 professionally done in Cerakote. Both are incredibly resilient.

I definitely want the Cerakote as the first layer.

But I want to be able to try out different camo schemes and to avoid having to pay more for a set camo scheme.If I use Krylon or Dura, I can remove it (albeit not too easily with Duracoat) and try something else. In short, I want a professionally done skin that will last forever. But I want to know if I'll be able to add to it with cheaper components or enhance it myself.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you are going to cover it up anyway, why not go with something like duracoat or alumahyde as a base. I've used Alumahyde in the past and it holds up really well. It's a WHOLE lot cheaper too. Alumahyde II Coyote matches Magpul FDE exactly.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely want the Cerakote as the first layer.

But I want to be able to try out different camo schemes and to avoid having to pay more for a set camo scheme.If I use Krylon or Dura, I can remove it (albeit not too easily with Duracoat) and try something else. In short, I want a professionally done skin that will last forever. But I want to know if I'll be able to add to it with cheaper components or enhance it myself.

I would practice different camo paint jobs on cardboard. You can get an idea of what the final product will look like with out having to strip your gun every time.

I did this with Alumahyde coyote and a laundry bag from dollar general. I practiced it a couple times on cardboard to see how it would turn out. I was personally happy with the end result:

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?131871-18-quot-SPR-AR-build-**Pic-Heavy**

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would practice different camo paint jobs on cardboard. You can get an idea of what the final product will look like with out having to strip your gun every time.

I did this with Alumahyde coyote and a laundry bag from dollar general. I practiced it a couple times on cardboard to see how it would turn out. I was personally happy with the end result:

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?131871-18-quot-SPR-AR-build-**Pic-Heavy**

That does look pretty awesome...the Alumahyde is rattle can too...did you have to prep or blast off the original finish on the lower/upper?

I already have the lower, but I plan on getting a blem Aero upper for coating and save some $$$.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just degreased the rifle and sprayed it. Then took a heat gun (hair dryer) to it and it worked out great. I tried a couple other things, like an onion bag, potato bag ,etc. All practiced on cardboard.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just degreased the rifle and sprayed it. Then took a heat gun (hair dryer) to it and it worked out great. I tried a couple other things, like an onion bag, potato bag ,etc. All practiced on cardboard.

A good friend of mine is trying to convince me to go the Duracoat route for reapply-ability and cost. Slowly I'm coming around to either Dura or this stuff your talking me into.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is trying to convince me to go the Duracoat route for reapply-ability and cost. Slowly I'm coming around to either Dura or this stuff your talking me into.

Ha. If I was going to do one color and stick with it and it only, I would go cerakote or duracoat. I like the Alumahyde because it holds up very well, is in a rattle can, and can be removed semi-easily with the proper materials.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha. If I was going to do one color and stick with it and it only, I would go cerakote or duracoat. I like the Alumahyde because it holds up very well, is in a rattle can, and can be removed semi-easily with the proper materials.

Why's that? Duracoat sells camo kits meant to be applied on top of each other.

Latest posts

Top Bottom