Charlie Hustle won't be betting on any more baseball games

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of me favorite players. :cry3:

In 1980, I was 12 years old and really got big into baseball, especially the Philadelphia Phillies. A mentor of mine (his kids and I were in school together) was a former Phillie and that was the year the won the World series over the KC Royals.

"Charlie Hustle" led an awesome group of players...Steve Carlton, Bob Boone, Mike Schmidt, Bake McBride, Greg "The Bull" Luzinski and Tug McGraw to the very first National Championship in franchise history, and I was there, glued to the TV for all 6 games.

Yeah, he bet on some ball games, but I think his numbers alone should have secured him a seat at Cooperstown. Nobody played harder.

Oh well...RIP number 14. The diamond upstairs needs another first base player.

UVEC.gif

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huge travesty by mlb. I’ll never forgive them for it
I used to think it was a travesty, but it’s really not. It’s not like he violated some arcane unwritten rule of baseball, he violated a cardinal rule, Rule 21, one that’s so important to baseball that the MLB requires it to be posted in every MLB clubhouse. It might as well have been carved on Moses’s tablets; if you gamble on baseball, you’re out. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, you’re just out, and every big league player knows it.

Here’s MLB Rule 21:

I do think MLB showed him some grace by allowing him to be associated with MLB games later in his life (namely, appearing on broadcasts), and I wish that they had allowed him to go into the HoF while he was still alive, but he knew what the penalty was when he decided to play the game—and now every player who hits the big leagues knows that MLB means it when they say no gambling on baseball.

Anyway, RIP, Charlie Hustle.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly!! They let guys who used ped’s in, they should be banned for life.
The guys who used PEDs skirted the rules, which is why they got, at most, suspensions instead of bans. Pete Rose intentionally broke a bright line rule that he knew carried a lifetime ban, one that has been made crystal clear to big league players for over a century.

Latest posts

Top Bottom