Cheap, Effective Cleaning Solutions for MUCH cheaper than store-bought ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my thread, as I promised in -Pjackso's thread. I see OkieLady has a cleaning thread too. Her recipes are different than mine, but are every bit as effective, I'm sure. I'm posting these here because I've used them, so I know they work.

(If you have a specific request for a cleaner not listed here, post it and I'll see if I can come up with one. The cleaning solutions I've posted here are ones I use here at home the most.) Finally, the vinegar in these concoctions will evaporate and leave no lingering odor, but if you don't care for the smell at all, just add a tsp of fresh lemon juice to each of these. It will help neutralize the vinegary smell.

(Take the lemons, scoop out the pulp, mix with the leftover juice and freeze in ice cube trays. When frozen, remove and place in ziplock bags. You can use this to for flavoring while cooking. Also, be sure and get the zest off the peels before you throw them out. Dehydrate this and then store in a small jar, in a cool dark place with your other herbs and spices.)

All Purpose Floor Cleaner
1 c white vinegar
1 c isopropyl alcohol
1 c water
6 drops dishwashing liquid

Keep in spray bottle. To use, spray sparingly and wipe dry.

Window, Mirror and Bathroom Fixture Cleaner
3/4 c white vinegar
1/2 c water
Newspaper

Pour in shallow bowl. Crumple newspaper (not the glossy colored pages, the other plain black and white print ones) and dip in solution. Wipe surface until almost dry with newspaper. Polish with another, dry sheet of newspaper. (Wear gloves or you will have newsprint all over your hands.) If you have streaks after using the first time it is from the wax build-up from commercial cleaners. You can add a drop of dish soap to the bowl and wash again. After that you shouldn't have any streaks at all.

Sluggish Drain Cleaner
1/2 c salt
1 c baking soda
1 qt boiling water

Pour salt down drain, followed by baking soda. Let this sit overnight. Rinse with boiling water the next morning. You should do this monthly to keep from having problems. Try the following for clogged drains:

Clogged Drain Cleaner
1/2 c baking soda
1/2 c white vinegar
2 qts boiling water

Pour baking soda in drain, followed with white vinegar. Let this set for 15 minutes. Then pour boiling water down drain. You can repeat this if needed.

Got a clogged toilet?? Plunger didn't work?? Try this ...

Add 1/2 cup of dishwashing liquid to toilet bowl. Let set for 20 minutes. Poor 2 quarts of hot** (NOT boiling) water into bowl. Flush.

**"Hot" means almost too hot to touch but not so hot it will crack your bowl. Be careful ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm assuming you could use the floor cleaner concoction to wipe down kitchen counters, etc?

Yessir, you can. In all honesty, most times I leave out the dishwashing liquid, unless I'm trying to clean something really, really grimy ... like the floor around here! LOL or the BBQ grill ... I've also used it on mirrors and fixtures (without the dishwashing soap) with good results.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh ... and here's the Dawn and white vinegar recipe someone else was talking about:

Ingredients: 12 ounces white vinegar 12 ounces liquid , blue dawn detergent Directions: 1 Heat vinegar in microwave until hot and pour into squirt bottle. 2 Add the Dawn soap. Put the lid on and gently shake to incorporate. 3 You now have a powerful cleaning product that will melt soap scum and tub and shower buildup, clean sinks, appliances and just about anything. Just spray it on, scrub, rinse and be amazed. For tough soap scum build-up, spray the mixture on and allow it to sit as long as overnight. Then, scrub and rinse.

I used this when I first started out, but now that all the soap scum (you'd be surprised what is there, even though it looks clean) is gone I just use the vinegar, alcohol and water concoction. (It's cheaper ... LOL :D)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got any homemade gun cleaning products?:scratch: That'd be pretty neat!

You know, I've looked around on the internet a little and the only homemade gun cleaners I have found are all based with brake/carburetor cleaners ... Not exactly something you can get more of easily if the SHTF ... Nor is it anything I want to use on the polymer or wooden parts of any gun of mine ... Maybe somebody else knows something I don't, but for right now my best advice is to stock up on Hoppe's ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom