Chicken Barn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This old farm place we recently bought has a 8x14 enclosed shed attached to the old big barn. At one point someone really wanted it sealed off. But they goofed on using particle board over 2x6 floor joists then they overlayed it with 3/4 plywood I guess when the particle board started getting weak, particle board was rotted, plywood not to bad. I think it was a tack barn. And as all the other buildings it was built with 2-7/8 drill stem 3/8 wall thick. You could set a dozer on top of the frame!

Wife and I tackled it today and stripped it to the dirt, one grain shovel at a time of rotted particle board! I sprayed it with permethrin twice and set off fog bombs a few days ago. Dead **** everywhere, and hundreds of dead fiddle backs. But should make a dandy chicken coop! Outside area has a 10ft tall pipe fence with cattle panels and chicken wire and at one time was totally covered over the top with panels and chicken wire. Must have had issues with Hawks! I think we will restore the cover over the outside area to aid with Hawk issues. Next year we will have a chicken hustle, fresh eggs and no more store chicken!

IMG_5959.jpeg
IMG_5958.jpeg

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice!

Keep in mind that you will need different conditions for your meat birds vs your layers. Also bear in mind that there is a strong possibility that there is Marek's virus in the soil if chickens were there before. Won't be an issue with meat birds as they dont live long enough to get it.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice!

Keep in mind that you will need different conditions for your meat birds vs your layers. Also bear in mind that there is a strong possibility that there is Marek's virus in the soil if chickens were there before. Won't be an issue with meat birds as they dont live long enough to get it.

What do you use to keep Mareks in check?

It was a tack room. The outdoor chicken pen had a chicken barn that I burnt last year. Chickens hasn’t been on this place in 20 years. We raised chickens till we were 45 years old. Been a few years! Since we were married till almost 45 we had never bought eggs or chicken to eat. We miss that! Same on beef.
And we did keep meats in separate pens.

You sell chicks? Where you buy yours? We won’t buy till next year, we have a lot of travel we are doing this summer into winter.

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you use to keep Mareks in check?

It was a tack room. The outdoor chicken pen had a chicken barn that I burnt last year. Chickens hasn’t been on this place in 20 years. We raised chickens till we were 45 years old. Been a few years! Since we were married till almost 45 we had never bought eggs or chicken to eat. We miss that! Same on beef.
And we did keep meats in separate pens.
Vaccination

You could get unvaxed birds and see if they contract it and get vaxxed on your next round, or start with vaxxed birds. The Mareks vaccine is leaky, intact it is the textbook case of a leaky vaccine. This means that vaccinated birds shed the virus and pass it to unvaccinated birds. Most chicks from the feed store are vaccinated. If you order from a hatchery you have the option of getting vaxxed or unvacced. While were at it imma shout out to Meyer hatchery for mail order. I usually get my fancy breeds and add however many meat birds I need to get it up to the 25 chick minimum for cheap shipping.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vaccination

You could get unvaxed birds and see if they contract it and get vaxxed on your next round, or start with vaxxed birds. The Mareks vaccine is leaky, intact it is the textbook case of a leaky vaccine. This means that vaccinated birds shed the virus and pass it to unvaccinated birds. Most chicks from the feed store are vaccinated. If you order from a hatchery you have the option of getting vaxxed or unvacced. While were at it imma shout out to Meyer hatchery for mail order. I usually get my fancy breeds and add however many meat birds I need to get it up to the 25 chick minimum for cheap shipping.

Thank you for the info! I’ll be picking your brain and others! We get going, might get a bird swap up in this place!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Adopted daughter asked for chicks last years and i finally got prepared and got her 4 this year from TSC which gets theirs from Hoover hatchery but you can order direct with a 10 ct mininium and females are all vac next year will more than likely order direct if they have what im looking for this year was experimental with her.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Adopted daughter asked for chicks last years and i finally got prepared and got her 4 this year from TSC which gets theirs from Hoover hatchery but you can order direct with a 10 ct mininium and females are all vac next year will more than likely order direct if they have what im looking for this year was experimental with her.

My girls loved chickens when they were growing up. I believe any livestock that kids are responsible for helps them in life. Mine fed and cared for all our livestock and farm animals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom