Chivalry is dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are that helpless then you should plan ahead and get AAA.

I can change my own tire but I still have AAA because if I get a flat on my motorcycle I will need it towed.

It gets old seeing so many co dependent people in this world. If you can't change a tire learn how to or plan ahead.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lincoln town car lady reminds me of all the people I hold a door open for who don't even acknowledge it, as if it were my duty. I'll still do it, but I could see where it might put a damper in people's willingness to help.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never seen OHP pass a stranded motorist. I've never seen a city cop stop and help a stranded motorist.

I second that observation. Same thing with removing huge pieces of debris from the roadway. I've never seen an OHP drive around one, been watching my local policia do just that for years.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I had a flat I was using a rented truck and horse trailer. The trailer got the flat. I discovered the rented truck had no jack and no lug wrench. An OK Highway Patrolman stopped and not only supplied me with the tools I needed, but did most of the work changing the tire. I wrote his name down so I could send a thank you note, but somehow that scrap of paper got lost.

So, I owe OHP a debt, if I ever see one of those guys in need I'll help 'em out for sure.
I have never seen OHP pass a stranded motorist and I know of many accounts where they have gone way out of their way to help. I've never seen a city cop stop and help a stranded motorist. I won't stop for anyone if I have my family with me. It's a shame that this is the world we live in but I'm just not going to take a chance with my family.

If I'm by myself and see a female stranded, I always help. The last time I stopped was on Sooner Rd. in OKC. This poor lady obviously had no clue and she couldn't pull off the road where she was. She was deaf as well which made the situation more dangerous. She told me her husband (who was also deaf was on the way) and I didn't need to stay. I changed her tire anyway while she alerted cars to change lanes behind us.

Usually if it's a dude and he's capable, I'll just stand there and be his eyes and ears in case there is an oncoming motorist not paying attention.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lincoln town car lady reminds me of all the people I hold a door open for who don't even acknowledge it, as if it were my duty. I'll still do it, but I could see where it might put a damper in people's willingness to help.

Same here. I still do it, every time. To young, old, white, black, male or female.

It's not going unthanked that really irritates me, it's surprising and disappointed to see a lack of appreciation people have.

I've never not thanked somebody for doing something for me. I just can't do it, I'd feel way too embarrassed and guilty to walk through an open door without saying a word.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can believe if I had saw Mrs SMS on the side of the road, I would have stopped.

:naughty:

She'd peen you with the tire iron if you didn't stop!

She was pretty excited....first time she'd ever done it completely on her own. I made her change one on my pickup once just for practice, but this was her first time solo.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Changing tires on the side of a busy road is incredibly dangerous. I'll limp along until I find a safe place to pull over. If I ruin the tire I'll buy a new one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom