Chokes for Pheasant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chokes depends on how the pheasants are flushing. Normally MOD/Full is considered good for pheasants. If it's a preserve hunt then ask the guide. He'll know how they fly and how the dogs flush better than anyone. I prefer anywhere from 7 1/2's to 6's for pheasant and normally use a 1 1/4 oz, 3 3/4 DRAM eq. load. Best of luck and the hunt! Have a good time!

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the type of birds they have.

I am going back to Kansas to a controlled shooting area for pheasant. This will be my 3rd trip there. The birds were mostly released pen-raised with a few wild mixed in.

The first trip, I took a 12 ga OU with improved and modified. It was just a bit overkill. Last year, I used a Franchi 20 ga with modified. It was just the ticket.

On a wild pheasant hunt, I would take the 12 ga OU with mod and full.

Hope this helps.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Improved Modified when I kill them.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_Hunting_1f405231.jpg

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i second calling the place and see what they say.

if your hunting with a dog and they are holding, i think IC is good.

the pen raised birds I have shot took off at your feet.

Now - with wild birds, you get them from almost flying up your pants leg to 50 yards. On wild birds, i like mod and full, i can hit the close ones and have a chance at the long ones.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you are shooting released birds...I would use skeet or improved. They are hard to get to flush sometimes and will be close. On wild birds I like the improved/modified too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt wild pheasant with a 12 ga full choke. I can hit a clay bird at 30 yds, so a pheasant is not an issue.
Never hunted a preserve so will defer to those that have. Don't have any problem with those that do. Getting out with dogs is what it is all about. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom