Slug sight in distance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Going to set up a shotgun for slugs for deer hunting as I've not killed one that way in a few years. What is the most preferred sighting distance? It's a 24" smooth bore with chokes, most likely will run improved cylinder.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do shotguns, rifles, pistols and muzzloaders all the same way.

I shoot at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100yards or farther depending on the weapon and then see how the weapon groups.
If I can keep it in a 4" group I am good.
I expect much better though like 2" or better.

If it gets larger than 4" group at longer ranges then longer range shots are not taken.
Some say paper plate which is about 8".. that to me is just too large.
I do not have to track deer or pigs I have shot.

So get the ammo and paper out and see how accurate that weapon actually is and see how much drop it has at different distances.

Yea your arm will be a bit tired but not as tired as you will be after tracking a bad shot deer for hours and miles.

I have the drops on paper laminated to my stock on a couple rifles.

When I hunted with smooth bore shotgun and slugs 85 yards was the max for decent group size.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, how did it work out?

I was going to suggest being ready for up to 100 yards too, but rifle season is over so I’m guessing you got it figured out by now

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run a 100 yard zero on my smooth bore M2 with a light mod choke it will hold around 3-5" for 3 rounds most days.

Hey Kurt, I seem to recall you had come up with a method for correcting poa/poi on bead sighted M2 shotguns. Do you still have the tools to make those adjustments?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, but PM me and let me know how far it is off and I'll tell ya what to do. I sold all my gauges off to gunsmiths

Blackdog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
So for me, it did not work out in the field. Never got my target buck in gun season, will try for a slug doe, when holiday opens up. Should be easy for that. Sighted at 50 since that's the feeder distance from the blind

Latest posts

Top Bottom