Chronograph ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Chrony's and others pretty much all work the same electronically, but all offer different features to make them more desirable.

I have the basic chrony from 20 years ago that only measures one shot.

The new ones offer printers, memory for shot strings, and lots of other functions.

Yet, chronographs still remain relatively inexpensive.

Probably the best tool a shooter, and a reloader can own. No gun will shoot to factory published speeds.

For extreme accuracy, you need to know what your gun shoots and work up your ballistics tables from that data.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On another forum with top shooters they all swear by the Magneto chronograph. However, I don't believe it works on semi-auto pistols currently due to the way it attaches to the barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen that. The report I watched said it worked well on shotguns if adjusted correctly, as it connects directly to the barrel and not resting on a tripod on the ground in front of the barrel.

Shotguns are hard to chronograph as the wad is what seems to be the determining factor, and its quickly stripped when it leaves the gun, so is not a good indicator of speed with a normal chronograph.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you just want to check your loads a bottom of the line Chrony is all you will need, they are accurate and easy to use. I bought one and am happy with it, no need to invest a lot of money unless you are going to write a reloading book.

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Chrony Beta, Master version. The Master has the remote display. The extra memory and shot groups are nice but I wouldn't consider them a necessity. I would however highly recommend the remote display. Having the display right there with you allows you to easily read and operate the device without having to go down range. It's also a much cheaper fix if the chrono ever gets shot. Thankfully I haven't dealt with that yet.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like i have the same one dennishoddy has.
The basic 1shot.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/531741/shooting-chrony-f1-chronograph

Goes on sale sometimes for $79 or something.

I can read the display from 20 feet away easily.
I have even set it up 100 yards away and measured my speed there.

I paid around 100 bucks .. if it was more than that i may have thought twice in doing that..but i knew my loads.

I sure like mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom