Cicada-Killing Giant Wasp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve lived most of my long life in Oklahoma and usually in areas where there are many cicadas. My current home is in the midst of many large old growth trees which normally carry a full complement of cicada.
This year I have so far seen exactly 5, of which 4 were dead. I have heard exactly zero. This is really peculiar. And, yes, I have a resident wasp.
Go figure!

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't bad. Those flying around your head and looking you in the eye are trying to figure out if you are the right species to have sex with. When they figure out you're not their cup of tea, they move on.

They are not that easy to intimidate, either. They are generally quite docile.

I was able to see a female carrying a cicada and followed it to its hole. The females are larger than the males and appear to be up to the task of moving those much larger cicadas round.

Woody

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve lived most of my long life in Oklahoma and usually in areas where there are many cicadas. My current home is in the midst of many large old growth trees which normally carry a full complement of cicada.
This year I have so far seen exactly 5, of which 4 were dead. I have heard exactly zero. This is really peculiar. And, yes, I have a resident wasp.
Go figure!
Lots of Mississippi Kites this year... may have some impact on the cicada crowd.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're thick around Ardmore during nesting season. They're probably pretty much fledged out by now. The young will spend a few weeks getting their flight muscles in shape for the long haul, and then one day, poof,,. they're gone.

Kites are very good hunters of small birds. If you spend a little time just watching them, it's pretty cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom