Clarence Thomas Breaks 10-Year Silence: Speaks from Bench in Defense of Gun Rights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/29/clarence-thomas-speaks-from-bench-for/
Clarence Thomas Breaks 10-Year Silence: Speaks from Bench in Defense of Gun Rights
by AWR Hawkins 29 Feb 2016
"On February 29, during a Supreme Court case revolving around misdemeanor domestic abusers and gun rights, Associate Justice Clarence Thomas broke his 10-year silence from the bench to ask the government’s lawyer to list any other situation where a “misdemeanor violation suspends a constitutional right.”...

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GOA is taking credit for it, but kudos to Justice Thomas
Justice Thomas shocked the courtroom by asking her whether she could think of any other example of where a misdemeanor criminal conviction could deprive an American citizen of a constitutional right for a lifetime-in this case the right to own a firearm, "which at least as of now is still a constitutional right," he quipped.

The question came directly from an amicus brief filed in the case by the Gun Owners of America, which weighed in to support the two petitioners, a pair of men from Maine who'd been prosecuted under the federal law for possessing firearms after being convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence crimes.
http://www.gunowners.org/

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ten years of silence! What's he been doing all these years?

I can't state this for fact, but from what I've read I think that Thomas and Scalia must have had pretty much the same thinking on cases that came before them. Thus when it came time for the questions to be asked, IMHO Thomas remained silent and let Scalia do the questioning and digging.

RollingRock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thomas has been quoted in the past that he very much uses the written briefs + historical facts when making his decisions. Either way, he is pro 2A.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom