Classifieds ads - payment with PayPal - who pays fees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just curious. PayPal isn't nearly as universally-accepted here as some other boards I participate in, but I do see a few people whom accept it. Personally, I have always accepted PayPal, as I feel it improves my access and opens the market to more potential buyers. It also adds to the convenience, both theirs and mine. I get my money quicker, and since I spend most of it online again, it's practically instant.

But what gets me is the fees portion... so many sellers who accept it seem to want to pass the fees on to the buyer, which is blatantly against PayPal's EULA. Yet our Classifieds section's rules allow this. If you're the seller, you are expressly forbidden by PayPal's EULA in charging someone more than if they weren't using PayPal.

How do you guys feel about this? Like I said, I always found it a benefit to both parties and it's only like 3.5%. This is essentially the same as any retailer who accepts credit cards... they pass the fees along in their prices, but everyone pays the same thing - check, cash or credit. That's how it's supposed to be, according to the merchant agreements, anyways.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This pretty much comes down to if you want to buy the item or not, regardless of what the EULA says. Similarly enough there are quite a few gas stations that charge a different price for credit purchases.

I find I do so little online purchases that I fall under the monthly limit so I haven't had to deal with the fee's.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
send it as a gift and there are no fees.

This. Ship it as a gift.
Also against the EULA, and, as a buyer, you lose any and all protection through PayPal. No recourse if you get screwed. Zero.
some people just call it "shipping and handling fees"
Again, shipping and handling applies to any purchaser, not just one who pays with PayPal.

So some of you are saying it's ok, that it doesn't matter what the agreement says (that you agreed to when you signed up)? I'm just asking.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both situations occurred to me today. I sold something here and as the seller ate the PP fees. I also purchased a firearm and paid a higher price due to CC fees which I was fine with because I could have just as easily left and came back with the cash but my time is valuable.

so many sellers who accept it seem to want to pass the fees on to the buyer, which is blatantly against PayPal's EULA. Yet our Classifieds section's rules allow this. If you're the seller, you are expressly forbidden by PayPal's EULA in charging someone more than if they weren't using PayPal.
Easy answer, don't do the purchase if it bothers you.

How do you guys feel about this? Like I said, I always found it a benefit to both parties and it's only like 3.5%. This is essentially the same as any retailer who accepts credit cards... they pass the fees along in their prices, but everyone pays the same thing - check, cash or credit. That's how it's supposed to be, according to the merchant agreements, anyways.
Many merchants don't follow that. I do at my business.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally would have no problem with a private seller expecting me to pay the fee. Most ATMs would be charging me for the cash withdrawal anyway, and I sure wouldn't expect a stranger to take a check.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I buy everything I can with my CC, even with cash in my pocket. Buying from a private individual on here I pay cash since individuals practically never have the ability to accept CC but if I am at the store with $100 in my pocket I'll put a $3 candy bar on my CC. I get rewards for using my CC and the fees are built into the price anyway. I'd be giving myself the shaft if I paid cash and who willingly gives themselves the shaft? Not I.

To address Paypal directly, the seller can sell the item for whatever price he wants to whoever he wants. The buyer also has the option not to buy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom