Classifieds ads - payment with PayPal - who pays fees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I buy everything I can with my CC, even with cash in my pocket. Buying from a private individual on here I pay cash since individuals practically never have the ability to accept CC but if I am at the store with $100 in my pocket I'll put a $3 candy bar on my CC. I get rewards for using my CC and the fees are built into the price anyway. I'd be giving myself the shaft if I paid cash and who willingly gives themselves the shaft? Not I.

To address Paypal directly, the seller can sell the item for whatever price he wants to whoever he wants. The buyer also has the option not to buy it.
This is absolutely true. No one who has yet replied seems to have a problem with the fact that the seller in question is in violation of his agreement.

Oh well... I just wanted to gauge how people felt. Obviously I'm in the minority expecting a seller to abide by his agreement, but it's no big deal. If I feel it's unfair, I move on. Obviously not many people give much of a damn about it.

Have a good one.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont use it here because everyone I have dealt with has been local. I do use paypal as the only way to pay for online purchases. As others have said, just have the buyer gift it to you to avoid fees.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with having the buyer pay the fee...if someone wants $50 for something, they should get $50 regardless of paypal's "rules".

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen several gas stations who charge more for a cc purchase, and even the tag office that I deal with several times a year has signs up that they charge more if you are paying by cc.
I personally do not accept cc's thru my business because I dont want to deal with the fees. If I did, I would have to raise my prices for everyone.

TurboFinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes but if you do that, you can never open a claim if you need to get your money back. Now to answer the OP, the guy receiving pays the paypal fees.

that's not entirely true. paypal cannot take away your credit card rights. they can only deny your paypal claim. you can still file a claim with your credit card issuer if you use your credit card to "gift" the payment.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's not entirely true. paypal cannot take away your credit card rights. they can only deny your paypal claim. you can still file a claim with your credit card issuer if you use your credit card to "gift" the payment.

Actually, by using PayPal at all, you agree to forfeit your right to claim reimbursement through your credit card company. It is in the EULA that all disputes will be handled through PayPal and you agree not to file for any claims through the CC company.

Now... this is not binding with your CC company, and you CAN still claim through them, but PayPal considers it a violation of the EULA and if you do so will suspend your PayPal account. So you may get your money back through the CC company, but you will lose your PayPal account.

TurboFinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, by using PayPal at all, you agree to forfeit your right to claim reimbursement through your credit card company. It is in the EULA that all disputes will be handled through PayPal and you agree not to file for any claims through the CC company.

Now... this is not binding with your CC company, and you CAN still claim through them, but PayPal considers it a violation of the EULA and if you do so will suspend your PayPal account. So you may get your money back through the CC company, but you will lose your PayPal account.

not true......unless you regularly use your credit card company to "chargeback" against paypal. i had to do it once and i received a warning from paypal. how many warnings do you receive before they suspend your account? i don't know...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
not true......unless you regularly use your credit card company to "chargeback" against paypal. i had to do it once and i received a warning from paypal. how many warnings do you receive before they suspend your account? i don't know...
I don't know either... perhaps it's as much to do with the amount. I had friends who lost their accounts on the first try. Prolly a coupla hundred bucks or they wouldn't have bothered.

Of course, they just opened a new PayPal account with another email address.

Latest posts

Top Bottom