Classifieds ads - payment with PayPal - who pays fees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is absolutely true. No one who has yet replied seems to have a problem with the fact that the seller in question is in violation of his agreement.

Oh well... I just wanted to gauge how people felt. Obviously I'm in the minority expecting a seller to abide by his agreement, but it's no big deal. If I feel it's unfair, I move on. Obviously not many people give much of a damn about it.

Have a good one.

It's a matter of who the agreement is made to benefit. In a good agreement, both parties get good terms. In the Paypal agreement, Paypal gets the good deal and the user gets whatever benefits Paypal the most. Paypal is not protecting the user, they're protecting Paypal. The fee agreement is designed to discourage people who have both cash & Paypal from using cash, because Paypal wants to get paid.

If someone I don't know well wants to buy something from me with Paypal, I either decide to eat the cost, or pass it on to the buyer. Allowing the buyer to use Paypal is a benefit to them, not me. I use Paypal strictly to buy stuff, not sell. I'm not a merchant, so making me agree to terms designed for merchants is silly. I don't care about what benefits Paypal because they don't care about me. They should drop that ridiculous term in the EULA. After all, does it really matter who pays the fee, so long as it's paid? No one is stiffing Paypal here, so the terms are insignificant in this case.

FWIW, I wanted to use Paypal to pay for an item on another forum. I OFFERED to pay the extra fee the seller would otherwise have to eat. If you want to use Paypal to pay me, I think it's a good faith gesture on your part to make that offer, particularly if you're offering less than full asking price.

I understand your sentiment here, but Paypal is the bad guy, not the lowly schmuck trying to get his due. :anyone:

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screw paypal, their politics and stupid rules.

Ive bought using paypal and paid the fees and Ive sold stuff using paypal and charged the fees to the buyer.

Oh and Ive paid for guns using paypal.......Please dont tell them as I may be forced to open a whole new account and it would take all of 5 minutes of my time....;)

I hope that answers your question about what I think of their rules...:)

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screw paypal, their politics and stupid rules.

Ive bought using paypal and paid the fees and Ive sold stuff using paypal and charged the fees to the buyer.

Oh and Ive paid for guns using paypal.......Please dont tell them as I may be forced to open a whole new account and it would take all of 5 minutes of my time....;)

I hope that answers your question about what I think of their rules...:)

PayPal and Ebay both suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hellno:
x2 they also own autotrader and part of craigslist. PAypal is the biggest bunch of crap ever, you watch it will be the next enron...

Latest posts

Top Bottom