Close Pistol Combat...a reality of CCW holders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Norman, I don't care if the man is a pedophile, a taliban member or even worse a democrat. His personal life has absolutely nothing to do with the lesson being taught. Every class I've taken condones a pelvic first shot in a close quarters situation. Would you rather have your gun taken away trying to make a perfect shot?

Pelvic girdle shots are acceptable hits, but are most often gone for when other circumstances are present (other than CQB). I'm not saying they are a bad hit, I'm just saying that you can get better hits by not depressing your muzzle, just as I said in my previous post. Did you read by previous post?

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pelvic girdle shots are acceptable hits, but are most often gone for when other circumstances are present (other than CQB). I'm not saying they are a bad hit, I'm just saying that you can get better hits by not depressing your muzzle, just as I said in my previous post. Did you read by previous post?

Yes Norman, I read your post. I just like to argue :). Okay how about this theory. A spinal shot is a fast way to disable the bad guy right. Wouldn't starting at the bottom and working your way to the top be the fastest and most affective method?

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
pelvic girdle hits will stop someone. its good also to practice "failure" drills. kinda like a malfunction drill only that where the bullets are hitting ie. high chest in vital organs and not stopping the threat. keep shooting while moving to the pelvic girdle or better the head. now the dymanics of the situation the pelvis will be easier to hit most times vs head shots.

But in the videos meh he has some good and some other stuff i dont completely agree with but hey thats the great thing to take away from training and other classes is what you like and dont like about whats being taught. as for close in indexing of the firearm in a extreme close quarter position i dont like the one handed side of rib cage. Though a full 2 handed grip with the gun compressed in center mass with my forearms indexing off my ribs is very easy to shoot from if the attacker is closing in quickly. But i dont feel like i can defend the firearm as easily and it puts shots in the stomach area of the target given my height. Now what I have found and been taught is to index the gun very high strong side with the side of the slide pressed up to my pec with my thumb flagged. This in turn means your elbow is very high up and if its not uncomfortable then its not quite right, and the weapon is almost right under your face but its very defendable. shooting from here is very different but it gives me low gut/ pelvis shots 99% of the time and all i need to do is rotate my torso to direct the muzze and it cant be deflected into me because its already very much up against my body.

Anyways these things im talking about are very much needed to be done the first few times extremely slow and with a partner to check your postioning etc during the drill. but its very worth in my own opinion. either way all good stuff glad the op is taking time and consideration to post his findings and share them with us and those who may not have access to professional training.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes Norman, I read your post. I just like to argue :). Okay how about this theory. A spinal shot is a fast way to disable the bad guy right. Wouldn't starting at the bottom and working your way to the top be the fastest and most affective method?

If you can manage it, that's what I'd go for. The only exception being I would start aiming around the tip of the sternum/ xyphoid process. That's what I was reffering to when I said vertical string in the other thread. But then again, I'm just an average guy, not an expert by far.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's face it. If your life is in danger, odds are the bad guy is going to be within 5 yards. The necessity of knowing close combat pistol defense is critical. I've been googling, watching videos and practicing drills regularly and here are a few useful links I have found. Please post your thoughts and links.

Techniques

Video

Up close and personal is indeed what it most likely will be...IMO. Better practice and stay aware...like when getting in and out of your vehicle.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Norman, I don't care if the man is a pedophile, a taliban member or even worse a democrat. His personal life has absolutely nothing to do with the lesson being taught. Every class I've taken condones a pelvic first shot in a close quarters situation. Would you rather have your gun taken away trying to make a perfect shot?

I have trained with Suarez and would consider doing it again, that said their personal life can affect you. I want every possible advantage on my side in a legal matter. I would rather have training from a respected source than from a fringe source. What would look better to a jury "I've trained xxx hours with mr. Y a honorably retired military and federal Leo" or "I've trained xxx hours with Joe blow the ex-con who taught me how to shank someone". Not sure if it has or would come up but every little bit positive on my side looks good to me.

What classes have taught a first shot inti the pelvis? The classes I've taken have presented it as a possible target area with some instructors likIng it more than others but I can't recall any stating it as a primary target.

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Skip the Matthew Temkin "Shoot Him to the Ground" series. I don't buy the "walk towards your bad guy" theory he has. There's no point, you are just taking the risk of having your weapon taken away. Side stepping is a much better idea...IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom