Close Pistol Combat...a reality of CCW holders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may or may not agree with the advice in this thread. I would like to say it is nice that someone is actually thinking about more than just how fast you can whip your gun out and shoot.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should see what TDSA or USSA does with rank beginners in 2 days if you are worried about safety, I have seen people go from barely knowing how to load a firearm to drawing and shooting from the holster while on the move and making their hits while under as much pressure as can realistically be brought to bear on them. Not once did I feel unsafe either on the firing line or behind the firing line. Stress inoculation and realistic training does work, falling to your lowest level of training is not a cliche' its a reality, I don't have any gunfight experience but I have had a fair portion of unarmed and armed conflicts in the past and learned some hard lessons about training realities in my time.

Hence why I said this is The Internet, where words fall short. I haven't been to a class at either facility, let alone a complete beginners class. I have however shot with instructors from both facilities, and I see and shoot with one quite regularly. The instructors I have had dealings with have been completely professional, and furthermore have been genuinely nice, cool guys.
However I do not personally know rod snell, hence why I said it doesn't sound safe but I wasn't there. In a completely unrelated matter, part of the reason I said it doesn't sound safe is because I've had a hot Glock 19 pointed at my chest, finger on the trigger, by a beginner in a class that got too worked up.
And yes it is a cliche. It doesn't mean that it is untrue, but by it's over use and generalization it is a cliche. But it isn't the lowest level of your training, it is merely you fall to the level of your training.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the secrets for accurate shots on the move?

The secret to any shot is the firm, flawless repetition of the fundamentals of marksmanship. This includes shooting on the move.

That being said keep your body moving smoothly and consistently. Your knees are excellent shock absorbers, use them as such. Finally don't chase that 'perfect sight picture'. Continually focus on your aiming reference (front sight, red dot, etc) and the trigger press/follow through.

Norman, sorry to leave you hanging in this thread. I ended up traveling out of state to take care some legal BS at the last minute. :nolike:

Ek

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the secrets for accurate shots on the move?

The secret to any shot is the firm, flawless repetition of the fundamentals of marksmanship. This includes shooting on the move.

That being said keep your body moving smoothly and consistently. Your knees are excellent shock absorbers, use them as such. Finally don't chase that 'perfect sight picture'. Continually focus on your aiming reference (front sight, red dot, etc) and the trigger press/follow through.

Norman, sorry to leave you hanging in this thread. I ended up traveling out of state to take care some legal BS at the last minute. :nolike:

Ek

Ccpatrick

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the theory of not to shoot while retreating?
Has anyone taken any advanced classes where shooting while moving drills are done?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the theory of not to shoot while retreating?
Has anyone taken any advanced classes where shooting while moving drills are done?

TDSA teaches courses which incorporate movement into the firing sequence we did advancing and retreating fire during urban rifle 1. We didn't do any live fire while moving during ACP1 but it was a different group and I think UR1 we got ahead a little and got a preview of some of he UR2 class.

I plan on trying to get another rifle and pistol class in next year.

Pointman66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thread! I was taught by TDSA start shooting as soon as soon as the hip shot was behind the front site and then continue to the head. Doing this while moving in an arc around the target is something I need to practice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom