Closing University Campus due to Weather........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^This is the actual answer. It's a liability issue; I don't know about OSU, but OU has a very large commuter student population, and if they're required to come to campus, the universities potentially assume some amount of liability for what happens to them along the way. Aside from one college that's already in finals, this is Dead Week for OU, so closing this afternoon and tomorrow isn't really a big deal.

How does hazardous travel make the university responsible for my well being? I would assume that inclement weather and all that comes with it is a possibility when I enrolled. I know you are just stating the facts here, so I'm not digging on you. But this is just more of what's wrong today. Nobody wants any responsibility for ANYTHING. :twocents:

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OU was closed quite a bit in 2011 due to snow an ice. I remember one class lost about a week and a half worth of lectures due to the conditions.

That was my final semester. I was definitely thankful not to have to make the commute from Yukon to campus on the days it was bad.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was always under the assumption that in college - attendance is NOT a requirement.

That is completely true... unless it is not.

Quite a few professors made attendance a portion of your overall grade, sometimes 5% and as high as 15%. Wether it was to make it harder for some to get A's or lessen the chance at some failing by giving them easy points, it still pissed me off since I could have skipped the majority of classes in almost every subject and still walked away with a "B" average.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is completely true... unless it is not.

Quite a few professors made attendance a portion of your overall grade, sometimes 5% and as high as 15%. Wether it was to make it harder for some to get A's or lessen the chance at some failing by giving them easy points, it still pissed me off since I could have skipped the majority of classes in almost every subject and still walked away with a "B" average.

I'm going to OSU Okmulgee, and it seems almost every instructor there takes attendance. In fact, the only class I've had this semester where attendance wasn't taken, was a self-paced math class.

A very large portion of students at OSU Okmulgee are also commuter students who have to drive in from Tulsa and the surrounding area. I'm glad I didn't have to drive down there in this mess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom