CMP Gun Purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here ever done one?

How does it work?

It's easy. Fill out all the forms and submit all the required club and marksmenship info. The cmp will send you an email stating they received your order and it will be filled within 30-60 days. Before you know it, here is a garand at your door before 10:30am.

Requirements and forms here:
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

The service garands seem to be the best bang for your buck. Don't forget the Greek hxp m2 ammo. It's clean and reloadable.

As always pictures are required once you get it!

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done it. It works well. What is particular are you wanting to know?

Basically you gather up all your qualifying information and submit an order. The rifles come in various grades and munufacturers. The most commonly recommended grade seems to be service grade. So, you pick a grade and a munufacturer and they send you a random rifle that meets the criteria of that grade. If you have the time and inclination, you can also make the trip to one of the stores to hand selct a rifle.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if you are so inclined you could drive out to the South Armory at Anniston in Alabama and hand pick your rifle in person and leave the same day with it like I did 4 years ago much better and happier experience:)

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is really fun to pick a rifle out at one of the stores. I like to go in with no expectations, just some general ideas about what I might like, and then see what 'talks' to me. Good times! Tha being said, and admittedly I may have gotten lucky, but my mail order WRA service grade is just as nice as my hand selected Springfield Armory service grades. Of course then there is the beat up looking field grade I picked up at the Oklahoma Games soley because it had a lead dipped heal. My wife was suitably impressed with why I had purchased it (yes, that was sarcasm lol).

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like I could buy a nicer rifle from gunbroker. Or am I incorrect?

You are correct, but there are a few things to consider.

The first thing I would consider is how much do you know about garands and how much can you tell from the pictures on Gunbroker? If you don't know alot, there are occasionally some suspect rifles to be found there (and other places). The rifles the CMP has came straight from the U.S. Army and before that straight from the place that used them (like Greece with many of their current rifles). In other words, you don't have to worry so much about something from the CMP being fake.

My second concern would be cost. Many of the rifles you see for sale various places are obviously recent CMP rifles being sold at a higher price.

All of that being said, if you were to purchase from Gunbroker (or other location), you do get the rifle you want. There is no luck of the draw. So, if you see something at a price you like and you know what you are buying there really isn't a drawback. Some guys enjoy the CMP process. Some guys just want a rifle. Either is fine.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to add to what I said. The rifles on Gunbroker are not automatically nicer; the CMP on occasion has some really nice rifles. Gunbroker just removes the randomness but, some would argue, it removes the randomness at an increased risk. As long as you know what you are buying and have an inspection period that risk is reduced.

Are you looking for anything specific in this hypothetical rifle?

Last edited:

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the advice above is great. Consider this, what do you want to do with it? Shoot it? Collect? And if collect then what else do you have in mind as far as collecting for austerity sake? Just sayin. Been doing business with CMP since day one and prior to that the DCM, when we could only buy one in a lifetime. Go with the CMP not the internet sales sites, but what do I know?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to add to what I said. The rifles on Gunbroker are not automatically nicer; the CMP on occasion has some really nice rifles. Gunbroker just removes the randomness but, some would argue, it removes the randomness at an increased risk. As long as you know what you are buying and have an inspection period that risk is reduced.

Are you looking for anything specific in this hypothetical rifle?

I'll probably want to shoot it. I don't know much about them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom