Cmp m1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody out there that has purchased more than one of the CMP Garands and bought different grades each time?

Looking for opinions regarding field versus service grade.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The grading criteria has changed over the years. I've bought a "Correct" and a "Field" from them...

The Correct was a post war HRA in nearly unissued condition.

The Field was a WWII serial numbered Winchester. Still a good shooter...not much different than a friend's Service grade except that the wood was rougher.

I see now that Service grades may include new replacement stocks.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought rack, field, service, and correct grades from the CMP. As SMS said, the grading criteria has changed over the years; IMHO, it's gotten more relaxed, so your chances of getting a solid (as opposed to excellent) example of the grade is more likely than in years past. If you're looking for an above-average example of a particular grade, I strongly recommend you go to one of the CMP stores to do a hand-pick, or hire someone to do the same. I've done the latter twice, and been very happy with what they picked out for me.

As far as field vs. service grade, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a more representative example of a WW2 M1, then the field grade is the way to go, though you'd be much more likely to get a worn barrel and stock set. As mentioned, a lot of the service grades are now wearing new commercial stocks; if you're not hung up on that and want better metal, then the service grade is the better bet, of course.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased a service grade H&R and it came with new walnut furniture. I can't seem to find the grading card it came with right now but it was a 1 and 2. I've got to get some BLO on it.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can afford it, DEFINITELY go for the Service Grade.

FGs can be good if you can go hand pick them from one of the stores, but it is too much of a crapshoot via mail.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
at the cmp games at okcgc, the FG's for $525 had loose front sights.iirc, the service grades were only $100 more and in much nicer condition.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going the mail order route, I recommend service grade or better. I've got a field grade that I like, but it is a little rough compared to my service grades and it was hand selected.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! It will be a service grade.

Regarding ammo, it is my understanding most over the shelf stuff is a bit hot for high volume shooting. If ones does not reload, what ammo is recommended?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! It will be a service grade.

Regarding ammo, it is my understanding most over the shelf stuff is a bit hot for high volume shooting. If ones does not reload, what ammo is recommended?

Without question, the HXP ammo that the CMP sells. Not only is it correct for the M1 Garand, it's also the cheapest brass-cased, boxer-primed 30-06 around. It's not match grade, but if your goal is just to go plinking or shoot steel silhouettes, there's nothing better.

Otherwise, get an adjustable gas plug so you can shoot the more expensive commercial stuff w/o worrying about bending the op rod. Brownells, Midway and other vendors sell them - one make is Schuster:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...s-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized

Latest posts

Top Bottom