Coaching T-Ball. Any advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great advice so far! I coached tee and baseball as well as assisted with softball in Moore and that is a good bunch of people. Don't be afraid to ask other coaches, umps and administrators for help even when it comes to practice fields. There WILL be teams that eat sleep and breathe tee ball and they WILL be very good in Moore. My advice is to be overly honest and frank with the parents, make a short list of what you expect from them and hand it out. Most of all, have fun watching the kids and don't lose perspective. I will admit that I did with my son, there will be plenty of time for highly competitive ball in years to come. Be careful on who you choose to help/assist, the first guy to offer may not be the best/healthiest. Have fun brother, I would love to go back and do tee ball again! Feel free to pm with questions.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good ideas above............ I helped coach with my son's team years ago and it was some of the best times in my life.

Enjoy and have fun!! Great memories. Glory days....

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My best suggestion would be simply be honest with the parents and the kids. If you tell them everyone will play, make sure they do. I have coached for a long time and have had my share of parents with issues, but none of them ever said I mislead them. T-ball is the best becasue there are no expectations for either the kids or parents, but as they grow the demands will be different. HAVE FUN and everything else will take care of itself.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another IMPORTANT rule in T-ball be fast! When you tee the ball up for the kids, move fast or take a bat across the back! :yikes2:

I once saw a home video where the coach hadn't even removed his hand from the ball when the kid took a swing at it. Fortunately the kid swung low, otherwise the coach might have been nursing a sore hand. It got me thinking - now this is a guy with no kids - why doesn't the coach have the kid stand back until the ball has been placed, then step up to the box?

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once saw a home video where the coach hadn't even removed his hand from the ball when the kid took a swing at it. Fortunately the kid swung low, otherwise the coach might have been nursing a sore hand. It got me thinking - now this is a guy with no kids - why doesn't the coach have the kid stand back until the ball has been placed, then step up to the box?
You can tell an over anxious 4 year old but the eagerness gets them every time! Little fellows and girls have a way of sneaking up on ya. Had a great time coaching the little ones, it was a lot easier then the older.

CUatTheEnd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a blast. I coached my daughters team the past two years. The league should provide most of the equipment. The best thing to do is break up the kids into four or five groups, make sure you have a lot of parent participation, all the dads should be very interested to help out (mom's too). If you can break up the kids into small groups and work on throwing, hitting, and fielding and rotate the groups then everyone will get a lot more individual attention. Yeah they are going to mess around (their 5) make it fun and keep it short, their attention span doesn't last long. Keep them moving. About a 45min practice is good (5-10 min warming up, 5-7 min group rotations, and 5 min closing statements about games, progress and next practice should suffice). Good luck and have fun!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked with a lot of young baseball players 20 years ago. Teach fundementals. If you cant throw, catch or run...it's just a good time. There are all sorts of places to have a good time away from the freindly confines. A good time on a sports feild means giving whole souled effort... if they are less than that we defame the game...and waste the kids time. You will be frustrated...todays kids don't usually know the meaning of work... and too many of today's parents think "everybody" gets a medal for breathing on their own.

Teach the fundementals and your kids will win their share of the games.

Little kids are cute... I'd rather work with special needs kids (did a couple of years) ...it's all effort and they have a lot of heart. Junior high age kids... they know every thing...

Get a chance to work with kids in the Senior age brackets or American Legion... all ears. They are looking to move up or scholorship at that age... very rewarding to coach at that level.

Latest posts

Top Bottom