Colt pre Woodsman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a nice Colt pre Woodsman today, 1927 vintage. As is my usual mode of operations, I did research on it AFTER I got it home. The only concern I have with it is that it has a hardened magazine chamber for high velocity rounds. As I don't intend to fire anything other than standard velocity in it, the hardened magazine chamber holds no advantage to me functionally. I would assume a collector would see it as a detriment, where as a shooter would see it as a benefit. So, the question is, how does this affect the value???

Thanks!
Steve

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good question. To someone like me I would just pay you what you wanted for the pistol if I liked it. I am currently reading "Hatcher's Notebook." A compilation of the notes of Col. Julian Hatcher. I just read the chapter that includes a note about the Woodsman pistol could have a factory installed hardend chamber if you wanted to shoot high velocity rounds.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boehlertaught -

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I bought the gun 'cause I like it! Many years ago, my father-in-law showed me his Woodsman, and I have wanted one ever since. I got this one cheap enough that I won't get hurt on it, but I doubt I'll ever sell it anyway. It was made before the hardened chamber was available, so I know that part is not original. However, after Colt started producing the hardened chambers, they made a kit available to upgrade older guns. The kits are apparently quite expensive now, and hard to find. Knowing that non-original parts generally detract from the value, and also that Colt did make the kit to retrofit older guns, I was just curious what affect it had on the value. Like, did I get an ok deal, or a really great deal?!? Regardless of the value, though, I think I got a great deal, because I fulfilled one of my "bucket list" items!

Steve

Latest posts

Top Bottom