Colt SAA Grip questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

I need some help....if possible(on Colt grips,not mental):thumb:

I need to know if a 3rd generation, Colt SAA, split grips with a "screw attachment".....can be changed to a "non-screw" grip??

Does it just take some measuring and sanding to fit the handle to the frame of the gun. Then glue them on??

I won't do this....will have to send it out for correct fit.

Has anyone done this?? If so, who did it?? Whom would you reccomend??

Example: From a "screw attachment" on the grips.
[Broken External Image]

To a "Non-screw attachment"...a kind of solid sided grip.
awww.oslhp.net_museum_Virtual_20Museum_Weapons_Pistol_20Grips_70c708c77245da5918235e67a2d17c1a.jpg

Thanks for the help!!!

Cohiba

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All SAA grips for Colts and most of the Colt clones are swapable regardless of "generation'.... The grip frame is the same basic dimension

stocks and 2 pc grips will all need fitting to the grip frame 99/100 guns. Those grip frames were finished by hand so they vary.
Grip makers send stocks out oversized to allow for that

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the non screw grip is not glued on. it is one solid piece.
there is a screw in the bottom of the grip frame which allows the frame to come into 2 pieces. (at least on older colts)

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the non screw grip is not glued on. it is one solid piece.
there is a screw in the bottom of the grip frame which allows the frame to come into 2 pieces. (at least on older colts)

This is true.,what I have to add is this. Brownells lists (my catalog is several years out of date) AJAX & BAR -S grips for gen 1s. The decriptions of both seem to indicate that they are two piece and a filler block (supplied) is fitted to the back strap,and they are glued to it. The locating pin for the two piece grips would, of course, need to be removed. The filler block would have to fit the back strap well, to hold the grips up and forward against the frame. Numerich gunparts ,look under Uberiti 1873 cattleman, shows a pretty good picture of what we're talking about.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of material you are wanting but there are grip makers that offer kits that allow you to fit the grips yourself. I have never seen a set of grips go from one frame to the other and make a perfect fit. Take a look at this guy, he offers a kit that allows you to do it and have a nice set of grips.
http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/kits.php

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Patrick Grashorn gets great reviews for Moose and American Elk stag. If I end up with a USFA Rodeo II I will be using him. All you have to do is send in the backstrap for the fitting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom