Colt WWI Replica Question:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been lookin' and lookin' at the Colt 1918 WW I replica pistol. I have a few questions pertaining to this model.
awww.gunblast.com_images_Cumpston_Colt_WWI_ww1leftbook.jpg

Does anyone who reads this, have this replica model. If so, give me the pros and cons.

My biggest concern: Every time I put my hand around the grip, I notice how small the beaver-tail(hammer stop) is. Doe this create a "pinching" on the hand/skin in between the hammer and the tail?

****Yes, I know the front site is itsy-bitsy

Love the fit and finish, love that its a Colt, love the 45acp. Again, tell me the Pros and Cons on THIS model.

Thanks!!

Cohiba

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned one but I traded it for a Springfield Custom shop gun. IMO it's the best built/setup colt out there. I never had any problems with hammer-bite.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one and sold it for two reasons, 1) the sights are all but useless, 2) it was almost too pretty to shoot. It was tight, reliable, fit and finish was excellent. It came in a replica, period correct box inside the blue box along with two mags wrapped in wax paper and an original type instruction manual and screwdriver. No problem with hammer bite. I just had trouble with the sights and felt I had to be too careful and not scratch it. I sold it and replaced it with a more "modern" 1911. I recently acquired a 70 series re-issue. I prefer this gun over the WWI relpica but you can't go wrong either way.

I am not sure of the details but Colt actually has two WWI replicas, a carbonia blue and a black blue, I think the gun you mention is the later.

Tom K

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been lookin' and lookin' at the Colt 1918 WW I replica pistol. I have a few questions pertaining to this model.

Does anyone who reads this, have this replica model. If so, give me the pros and cons.

My biggest concern: Every time I put my hand around the grip, I notice how small the beaver-tail(hammer stop) is. Doe this create a "pinching" on the hand/skin in between the hammer and the tail?

****Yes, I know the front site is itsy-bitsy

Love the fit and finish, love that its a Colt, love the 45acp. Again, tell me the Pros and Cons on THIS model.

This is a model that you buy for a couple of reasons.

One, is to buy it as a collector's item and investment and put it away, unfired.

Another reason is to be able to have and shoot a fine representative example of what the WWI doughboys used, without having to spend huge amounts of money for a similarly fine original. If this is the case, then you want all of the original features and flaws, including the tiny sights, short grip safety (which may allow hammer bite), small safety lever, etc. If you don't actually want these things, buy a modern 1911.

This is not really a gun to buy as your one and only. It's a collector's piece, or a link to history.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will bite you if you have a high grip and the sights are horrible for anything other than bright and sunny days.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice guns but I wouldn't classify as a collectable, but you never know. I wouldn't buy one as an investment with no intention of shooting it.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom