"Comprehensive Immigration Reform" What are we reallytalking about?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a bash of illegals crossing the border, I am looking for intelligent comments on our current problems and proposed solutions.

I have lost track of this question. I hear calls for "comprehensive reform", but I am not sure what is actually wanted. Other than not stopping illegal border hopping, what is wrong with the current laws?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. Folks throw around "comprehensive" and "reasonable" in a lot of political discussion. Mostly to confuse people and paint opponents into a corner.

If we aren't willing to shut down the border and enforce existing immigration/employment laws then there is no point discussing anything else. I'm not drop-dead opposed to amnesty, and I don't think everyone should be put on a bus/plane/train and be shipped home, but I don't want to hear a thing about it until the border is locked down and strict employment enforcement is put into place.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a bash of illegals crossing the border, I am looking for intelligent comments on our current problems and proposed solutions.

I have lost track of this question. I hear calls for "comprehensive reform", but I am not sure what is actually wanted. Other than not stopping illegal border hopping, what is wrong with the current laws?

It's just another political buzzword like "common-sense gun laws".

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
It's just another Orwellian political buzzword like "common-sense gun laws".

Fixed it for you. Amnesty by another name, that actually makes the problem worse, just like "common sense gun laws" that are really just designed to infringe upon and erode on the constitutional rights of law abiding Americans.

It's a war of attrition on liberty, the constitution and citizenship; a death by a thousand cuts, carefully framed and delivered in a deceptively phrased package of PR campaigns like a proverbial Trojan horse.

"Foolish liberals who are trying to read the Second Amendment out of the Constitution by claiming it's not an individual right or that it's too much of a public safety hazard don't see the danger in the big picture. They're courting disaster by encouraging others to use the same means to eliminate portions of the Constitution they don't like." - Alan Dershowitz

Same goes for citizenship.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point. Folks throw around "comprehensive" and "reasonable" in a lot of political discussion. Mostly to confuse people and paint opponents into a corner.

If we aren't willing to shut down the border and enforce existing immigration/employment laws then there is no point discussing anything else. I'm not drop-dead opposed to amnesty, and I don't think everyone should be put on a bus/plane/train and be shipped home, but I don't want to hear a thing about it until the border is locked down and strict employment enforcement is put into place.

This.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on who is using the phrase in my opinion. "Comprehensive reform" could be completely shutting down all immigration, or totally open borders with no restrictions, or anything in between as long as it's different than what we have now. To me it's a ridiculous phrase.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those who come here legally, work hard, pay taxes and do everything by the book.
Usually end up voting Republican.

Those who come here Illegally, collect food stamps,section 8, and all the other freebie handouts. They pay no or very little taxes.
Then when amnesty is offered they partake and vote Democrat so they and all their friends can continue to get free stuff and keep those who gave them the free stuff in power.
And you wonder why Democrats are pushing for reform?
They want it so a Republican is never elected.

We don't need more laws just enforce the ones we have and secure the borders.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Step one: get rid of our archaic income tax system and replace it with a consumption based system. Use the Retail Sales Tax concept, Fair Tax (a modified Retail Sales Tax), or a VAT. Eliminate the economic advantage that illegal workers have and at the same time defuse a lot of the hateful "they took our jobs" rhetoric.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When politicians say comprehensive, what they actually mean is amnesty today for the promise of border security at some unspecified point in the future.

For me this should be the plan.

1. Secure the border. This means a fence and whatever it takes to secure that fence.

2. Crack down on employers who employ illegals. Crack down on those who rent to illegals. And no federal funds to sanctuary cities and states.

3. No more anchor babies. It isn't a law and it isn't in the constitution.

4. Amnesty (as in no prosecution) for those who turn themselves into authorities. Just a free ride to the border.

No more steps until the first three are accomplished.

5. A better guest worker program based on our needs.

6. A path to citizenship based on our needs.

Those wanting to apply must do so in person at stations set up at the border. Those who don't self deport within the first year won't be eligible for either program. That's my version of comprehensive immigration reform.

Latest posts

Top Bottom