Conceal carry in parks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couldn't remember if it's ok to ccw in Oklahoma parks? Finally talked the wife into a short 2 day camping hiking trip and need to know if it's ok to carry in OK state or national parks? Are there any national parks in OK?

Thanks

LCPguy

Marksman
Reaction score
We have several national parks: Chickashaw National Recreation Area in Sulphur, Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Lawton. Concealed carry is allowed now in national parks but not inside the associated buildings.

ZacCom

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
TravelOK and my law enforcement friends. As long has you have conceal permit. You are allowed to carry on all State Parks even if the sign says gun permitted not alllowed to enter park buildings though. So, "yes" you can carry in parks. This was verfied with a judge and defence lawyer to add for verfication.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if in a State Park, do NOT touch the water. That is a somewhat grey area as it is most likely an Army Corps of Engineers lake. So technically, when you touch the water you're on federal property.

Now, will park or state law enforcement actually enforce that? There's that little jewel called "officer discretion".

And of course, don't carry into the buildings in a State Park.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was verfied with a judge and defence lawyer to add for verfication.

Unless it's a court case or Attorney General's opinion, I don't consider the opinions of a judge or lawyer solid enough information. Judges and lawyers all interpret laws differently.

In the case of my lawyer telling me that something is alright, I pay him to make a convincing argument supporting that interpretation in front of a judge.

ETA: If it's the district judge in the area that I am likely to flirt with a grey area, then I give his opinion a little more weight than other judges.

Last edited:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
National Parks:
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=259

OK State Parks:

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not
include and specifically excludes the following property:

1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town,
county, state, or federal governmental authority,

2. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity
offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity
engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,

3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are
prohibited by the provisions of this section, and

4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park,
recreational area, or fairgrounds;
provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize
any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office
space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2010.pdf

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, the above is only State Law. The Coburn Amendment only applies to National Parks and NOT to Army Corps of Engineers property. Rep. Bob Gibbs (R-Ohio) introduced HR1865 last Friday to apparently rectify that. I say "apparently" because the bill text is unavailable at this time. That's why you need to be careful in the many State Parks that surround lakes so that you don't violate federal law.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might what to check with the wildlife dept. my understanding is if its ran by the state it falls under state laws. I've hunted an fished several corp owned lakes an the only law enforcement ,I've ever seen was lake patrol which is O.H.P. or Game Wardens

Latest posts

Top Bottom