Conflicted.... Card #24

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking some kind of co-op and general store. A place for people to come and buy and sell their goods, bring crops to market, along with cows/sheep/goats, etc. Gonna need to re-establish some kind of trade/barter/cash purchase economy, and having a central clearinghouse for that kind of stuff makes it convenient for people... you don't have to set up on the side of the road trying to sell corn or grain one bushel at a time.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a world post-collapse, supplies that aren't replenished eventually run out. When things calm down to the point where a local economy can start flourishing, what type of business or venture would you like to pursue in order to help rebuild society and take care of your needs?

I'd probably be doing something similar to what I do now, but having to expand into more medical treatment also.
I've been lucky enough to go thru some interesting training (compliments of Uncle Sam) and surgery doesn't really scare me.
As long as I'm on the right end of the scalpel !!

I'm thinking Dr. Dave's Dental, Medical and Pleasure Palace has a nice ring to it.

Dave

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bite this bullet real hard, and I'll take out your appendix. And, at no extra charge, while you are passed out, I'll pull your wisdom teeth and hack out your tonsils.
Just remember the original punishment for malpractice was basically equivalent to what damage you caused the patient...don't make it obvious if it was your fault they died.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bite this bullet real hard, and I'll take out your appendix. And, at no extra charge, while you are passed out, I'll pull your wisdom teeth and hack out your tonsils.
Just remember the original punishment for malpractice was basically equivalent to what damage you caused the patient...don't make it obvious if it was your fault they died.

Uncle Sam realized a long time ago that on the battlefield, a dentist is probably not going to be doing dentistry.
Even during Viet Nam, many dentists were elevated to doing amputations and other significant surgical procedures because that is all there was.
When I was in the service, we had a program called Alternate War Time Roles.
They pulled me out of dental treatment for several weeks of intense training in the OR and ER.

I got lucky with my training in the service.
I got certified as an EMT at one point.
Training in Combat Casualty Care
Training and Advance Cardiac Life Support
And, Advanced Trauma Support

At one point, I was on the fast track to be an Oral Surgeon.
I got to spend a lot of time in the OR doing facial reconstruction with the Oral Surgeons

Interesting that you mention both the appendix and the tonsils.
I've actually done both.
Wisdom teeth are no brainer.

This was about a question about a post apocalyptic society.
If there is no physician, what would you prefer?
Someone with some degree of medical/surgical training or someone who doesn't have a clue?
Or would you prefer to have a general practitioner physician who hasn't seen blood in years take on the case?

Dave

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually had no idea what your profession was...that was just a bunch of generalities that are commonly operated on today and treated as no big deal. I was referring to the fact post apocalyptic society health care will suck. And, mistakes could get you killed.

We will be back to surgery with no anesthesia - bite a bullet. Fox glove will be used for heart disease and willow tree bark for arthritis and "tonic"/heroin will be sold from every wagon. People will die from the dreaded "poison sticker" (staph/strep sepsis or tetanus) and diabetes will once again be a death sentence.

By the way it depends on the GP. Some are pretty good and do surgery regularly. Others, not so much. And to be honest if I have to pick a non-physician surgeon I would pick veterinarian. No offense intended but those guys/gals do surgery all the time and anywhere - physical location or body part.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... And to be honest if I have to pick a non-physician surgeon I would pick veterinarian. No offense intended but those guys/gals do surgery all the time and anywhere - physical location or body part.

Agreed! I've even said that about modern times! They also have a better ability to "diagnose by guess" better than most human doctors. That said, I found a really good, common sense doctor for the first time in my life. I'm hanging on to her!

As far as what business I'd do, I'd probably be raising horses & breaking them for plowing & transportation.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agreed! I've even said that about modern times! They also have a better ability to "diagnose by guess" better than most human doctors. That said, I found a really good, common sense doctor for the first time in my life. I'm hanging on to her!

As far as what business I'd do, I'd probably be raising horses & breaking them for plowing & transportation.

If you dont own a Merc manual, your really missin out. Absolutely required must have for preppers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom