Considering Purchase of a 6” Blued Colt Python

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
I am not that familiar with Colts, but wanting to know what a ball park cost might be to purchase a used without box blued Python.
I don’t plan on shooting it, just always wanted one, thought I would get one now since prices just seem to increase.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s really hard to tell. Other than they go for crazy pricing. I don’t think they will ever get any cheaper for the old ones.

$1500 to $3000 depending on condition is what I’d expect to pay for one in perfectly shootable condition. With box papers and everything they go for more yet.

I’d seriously consider buying a new model as they are considerably more robust. You can shoot some really high round counts through them and not worry about finding someone who knows how to tune them up.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen very many since the 2020 model was released, but up to 2019 you'd have been hard pressed to find one for under $2400 or so. Most of those I saw were more like $3000 to $3500 and I've seen them for considerably more. I'm really not sure what the re-release has done to value of the "vintage" pythons, I doubt it hurt them much.

Another issue with the vintage pythons is that if the hand wears out, there aren't that many gunsmiths still around that can make a new one (or so I read). If you don't plan to shoot it though, that's probably not really an issue.

I'd love to have one of the new ones, but I'm not paying anything close to $2000 for it. If they get down to or especially below MSRP, I might do it.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen very many since the 2020 model was released, but up to 2019 you'd have been hard pressed to find one for under $2400 or so. Most of those I saw were more like $3000 to $3500 and I've seen them for considerably more. I'm really not sure what the re-release has done to value of the "vintage" pythons, I doubt it hurt them much.

Another issue with the vintage pythons is that if the hand wears out, there aren't that many gunsmiths still around that can make a new one (or so I read). If you don't plan to shoot it though, that's probably not really an issue.

I'd love to have one of the new ones, but I'm not paying anything close to $2000 for it. If they get down to or especially below MSRP, I might do it.
Just FYI, Sportsworld has a 4” Colt Python for MSRP.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
I am not that familiar with Colts, but wanting to know what a ball park cost might be to purchase a used without box blued Python.
I don’t plan on shooting it, just always wanted one, thought I would get one now since prices just seem to increase.

80% ~ $2K, 90% ~ $2,300, "as new" ~$3K.

Add %15 for the original box and paperwork. Subtract 10% for examples made during the strike years (1986-1990).

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a 6" blued one in a pawn shop in Norman, been there a long time. Think they want $2300 for it. I offered 2 grand tax and all a couple of months ago and they wouldn't take it. I seen again yesterday when I was in there looking around. It's pretty nice but not perfect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom