Considering Reloading. Favorite equipemnt and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsd777

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering starting to reload. I shoot mostly 9mm and 223 but also shoot 45acp 38/357 and 308. Have a 12g but don't shoot it a lot and don't recall ever seeing a machine that will do both. What are your favorite reloading machines, and why? I probably go through (all size round considered) 2000-3000 rounds a year. Not a huge amount by some standards but enough I would like to save some $ by reloading. I am open for advice. Thanks!!!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you don't have a single lick of reloading equipment .. IMHO absolute best way to start is with a Rock Chucker reloading kit. much cheaper than trying to buy all the separate pieces, even used. you may find fancier components, but you will not find any better quality pieces.

best of all .. Rock Chucker is considered the finest single stage press ever made. you will not outgrow this kit, this includes if you decide to purchase Dillon 550/650 later. even then single stage is still preferred for larger rifle rounds like .308 or 30.06, etc.

do yourself a favor and get ... RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit $320

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_canvas.png

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 505 scale and a good solid single stage press. I use the Lee classic cast iron.
I also have a rock chucker, I like the way the Lee primes cases much better.
I have loaned my chucker to a buddy.

I have 2 of those RCBS powder measures in the pic..Mothballed!! not accurate enough for me. And i tweaked them every way and tried many powders..they would throw 3-4 good ones then a turd..
For the 45acp pistol loads I have a lee 3 hole progressive with disc dispenser ...Ammo from that is just as accurate as weighing on the 505 beam.
You can make 200 pistol rounds really quick with it.

Now too many steps in making accurate rifle brass in my book to need or make a progressive work.

I started with the Lee single stage and i still use it..Just deprimed some .308 brass today and pin tumbled it.

You will not save money!!! read that twice

Now if you shoot lots and lots you will
I bet i have 4000 bucks in components and i always want more....
I never ever shot this much ammo....but do now....money pit!!!

You have been warned :)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another vote for Lee here. I use a 4-hole turret to make everthing from 45LC to 300 win mag (anything bigger than 223 has to be in single stage mode). Not nearly as well built as the RCBS unit, but if you're not cranking on it like a gorilla in heat, it will last a very very long time. I, too, like the lee primer setup over the RCBS.

Also, as swamprat said: Digital scales are your friend. the sliders are maddening to use.

OH, and lee customer support is the best support I've ever had to deal with, hands down.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lee turret here too. Changing calibers is easy peasy lemon squeasy. 100 rounds an hour at 3000 rounds puts you at the press for 35 hours a year including setups. for me that is 35 loads of laundry as I usually start the washing machine and start cranking.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dillon. Why? Beacuse...Dillon. The name literally speaks for itself.

However, if you're going to shoot 2-3000 per year divided by four calibers, setting up four Dillon 550 toolheads might be more expensive than you need. Perhaps a Lee Turret or Hornady Lock-N-Load might be a better choice. Keep in mind that reloading will never save you a dime, it'll just allow you to shoot more rounds for the same amount of money. ;)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may want to consider casting your own lead projectiles.
I save tons in my 357, 30-30 and 45acp loading that way.
35 200gr bullets for $1
40 or so 357 or 30-30 bullets for $1

That's where i see the biggest savings.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 505 scale and a good solid single stage press. I use the Lee classic cast iron. I also have a rock chucker, I like the way the Lee primes cases much better.
I have loaned my chucker to a buddy.

I have 2 of those RCBS powder measures in the pic..Mothballed!! not accurate enough for me. And i tweaked them every way and tried many powders..they would throw 3-4 good ones then a turd..

hard to beat the beam powder scales that comes with Rock Chuck kit. still use it to check fancy digital scales :D same for reloading book .. gotta have accurate reloading data!

don't like using press to set primers .. much prefer a dedicated hand primer. yours is one of the few negative comments I've ever seen against RCBS powder dispenser. I've never seen a bad one .. I've got several including a way more fancy one.. yet the stock RCBS powder dispenser is the one I use. You need to call RCBS about those two dud dispensers. betcha they will do something.

NO dispenser will be more accurate than weighting out each individual charge. which is what I do when precision is needed.

if at all possible .. it's best to have an area used only for reloading only.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Rock Chuckers have been awesome. I prime with dedicated hand priming tools (RCBS) and have been satisfied with the results. The RCBS powder measures that I have throw within 0.1 grains with ball or flake powder which is great for pistol or plinking loads. For precision rifle loads, I use the RCBS Chargemaster. It will throw extruded powders generally within 0.1 grains. If it exceeds weight, I just re-measure the load.

I am considering the move to progressive reloading equipment, but that will hinge on the continued availability of components.

If you are serious about it, there are many folks here that will help you get started.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all fairness my rcbs measure and the lee disc measure are many years old, hand me downs.
The RCBS will squeegee the bullseye powder between the sliding portion then all of the sudden get a little stiff and dump that
compacted "powder cake" into a piece of brass...
I can look in my cases and see the bound together powder cake clump.
Probably just worn out. The box one came in has a $39 sticker on it,, or somewhere in the 30 dollar range.
been about a year since i looked at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom