Coolest 10/22 Conversion Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Akins

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't live in a city, I live in Pasco county. Fl
Here you go Raoul Duke, here's the video you asked for of the GSG 110 rd drum in action, along with some strong advice to follow the drum's loading instructions VERY carefully when loading.

Last few minutes of this video shows my 3rd crankfire prototype in action at the range firing the GSG (German Sports Guns) 110 rd mag. I think they are pretty reliable, I have three of them along with three MWG 50 rd teardrop mags and some Ruger 25 rounders as well as some tactical innovations 25 rounders too. The two failures to feed out of 110 rds that you will see in the video wasn't the GSG drum's fault, it was the cheap Remington 550 bulk pack .22 ammo I was using. CCI mini mags work a lot better but they are also a LOT more expensive too, so I don't mind a few defective low powered cheap bulk pack rounds here and there that didn't push my bolt back far enough to pick up another round. So the GSG drum was doing its job just fine, it was two low powered rounds not taking the bolt back far enough that caused two failures to feed out of 110 rounds.

You do have to be careful when loading the GSG drum mag, there is a certain way to load it or you will jam it up in loading. Be sure the read and follow the loading instructions to the letter. I've seen a few posts where people were calling the GSG 110 rd drum a "jam-a-matic".....but it isn't so. Those people posting that aren't following the instructions nor taking the patience and time to load it correctly to prevent it jamming up while loading. If you load it wrong it will jam while you are loading and you will have to disassemble it to clear the jam. I made the mistake of letting a friend load it for me while we were at the range, and in spite of my telling him how to do it correctly, he didn't follow instructions and it jammed while he was loading it and I couldn't un-jam it until I got it home and had to completely disassemble it......which is a pain and not easy to do and need three hands....but I got it done and it works fine....as long as it is loaded correctly. No one loads my GSG drums now but me.

"American Tactical Imports" has them for $100.00, (which is where I bought my first one when they first came out back around February), but then I found that "Cheaper Than Dirt" started carrying them later for $49.95 each, (half the price of ATI). (If Cheaper Than Dirt is out of stock on them, just click on the button to be notified when they are back in stock....which I had to do)....which is a great price and cheaper than the MWG 50 rd teardrop mags that sell for between $69.00 to $75.00
The GSG 110 rd drum mag is double plus ten MORE rounds than any other maximum rd mags available.....(which is usually a max of 50 rds). I like them and they prolong my shooting enjoyment when crankfiring without having to change mags as often as I had to before. With three of them loaded up, I can shoot 330 rds with just three quick drum changes. Not belt fed, but not too shabby either. They work fine for me......again, as long as you follow the instructions to the letter when loading them. You do NOT want to have to disassemble the drum to clear a jam caused by improper loading by the operator and having the hassle of getting the drum's spring tension back to the proper tension (which you can see done in tutorials on YouTube if you DO find yourself in that situation).

Here's the video. Two failures to feed (out of 110 rds) caused by two faulty rounds (cheap ammo) not pushing the bolt back far enough to pick up another cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Until Ruger produces a .22 WMR Charger, I think the recipe for the coolest 10/22 conversion kit would have to be a frakenfirearm built from the following components:

Select Fire Magnum Receiver Kit/R25P Bolt Buffer/.22 WMR 11" threaded barrel
Kit-Fox Defense 10/22 Chasis
Thordsen Pistol Builder's Kit w/CAA saddle
Kidd Trigger & remaining components
Nodak NDS 23 front sight & modify the receiver to accept a NDS13 rear sight
Tacstar Tactred compatible pistol grip
Volquartsen 10/22 Magnum 25rd Magazine

Here's a pic of the Nodak NDS13 mod on a Select Fire Receiver:

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I have a Jim Bunting bullpup chassis that is pretty neat!

The Bunting Bullpups are freakin' sweet. But then again, I've become quite a sucker for the aluminum 10/22 aftermarket stocks lately(Kit Fox, Nordic components, Troy, etc.).

Here's hoping Bunting Bullpup will make old & new standard(not takedown) model Charger compatible bullpup pistol chasis' with the recent release of the new model Chargers.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's three prototype crankfire (like cranking a Gatling) conversion kits of my own design that I built for the Ruger 10/22.

First prototype is air cooled only.

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_Myaib9bb56d36903c33bfd8f2edcae6fa7a5.jpg

Second prototype is truly water cooled only. Water jacket is not fake and really holds fluid to cool barrel.

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_Mywaa5ac4c1e5c6c3b49071a883c6dc4c515.jpg

Third and latest prototype is quickly convertible in about a minute from air cooled to truly water cooled (no fake water jacket here).
The water jacket comes in real handly when shooting my three GSG 110 rd drum mags in a row. Barrel never gets hot.
I fire shorter bursts when in air cooled configuration to not overheat the barrel.

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_20140807_110411.jpg

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_20140807_110339.jpg

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_20140807_105856.jpg

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_20140807_110013.jpg

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_PICT1726.jpg

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_PICT1729.jpg

i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Rapid_20fire_PICT1722.jpg

And this is why there's a .22lr ammo shortage!!!!! Really cool guns you've built!

Latest posts

Top Bottom