Copper heads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where abouts in MWC? I ask because I grew up in the MWC/Choctaw area and probably only saw 1 in all of my years playing in the woods. Now I'm near Reno and Westminister with two little ones and would like to know where the 'hot spot' is.

I'm surprised you found that many. We had ponds, creeks and lots of wet areas with tall grasses and the like, but never had a copperhead problem.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, that's a big haul in such a short period of time! :shocked:

But I'm curious; if you double a number, shouldn't you come up with an even number? :wink2:

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW!!! Fangs x 30 total??....I've never seen that together before outside a house. Do you have a lot of brushy areas, wood piles and mulchy areas around your house? Getting rid of them can be a literal "pain" but if you really want them out and easily, there's a product called "The Sentinel Electronic Snake Repeller" that sticks in the ground and causes vibrations that cause the snake to think it's a "danger" area and they'll leave. I know it sounds like something out of a movie and kind of gimmicky but I've read about it on various snakes sites and it's supposed to be very effective. The only downfall is the price, they are $140 a set (which is how many they recommend for a back yard) but it'll pay for itself by avoiding a single trip to the ER. http://www.stop-snakes.com/

!

wow..thanks. Never heard of that.
On it like a duck on a bug.

Yeah this is my back and side yard.
Short Bermuda grass and no brush piles.

They be comin in from the woods and I am used to seeing them in the woods but this just is not cool.
All of them have been fairly close to my concrete side walks and garage parking apron.

Any body got any more 22 snake shot.
Am on my last 10 rounds.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Killed this one last week, 30" long without the head and part of the tail. When I skinned it, I found 4 sacks with a fully formed baby copperheads inside.

View attachment 31837

View attachment 31838

The skin still needs a couple more coats of snake tan and it will be finished.

crap..........do copper heads give live birth..............

Geeze..............

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
crap..........do copper heads give live birth..............

Geeze..............

Yes, most vipers are ovoviviparous, meaning the eggs hatch inside the mother and live birth then occurs, while most other snakes are oviparous, meaning they lay the eggs before the latter hatch.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Snakes go where their food is. I think that copperheads live on larger bugs, mice, frogs, toads and the rare small bird. Don't know if you can discourage their food from hanging out nearby, but if you can, it might help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom