couple of ?'s about hog/pdog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
so i have an ar15 and just sighted in my ACOG and wanted to do either hog/pdog hunting, let me start by saying i have never hunted before in my life...
1. what type of ammo is best? i have american eagle (federal) right now..
2. I just want to hunt for a couple of hours i don't want to spend 300 dollars and spend the night somewhere. I just want to be able to get up drive somewhere, hunt and drive back home without spending too much money, so i am open to any suggestions.
3. what else should i know/consider..

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best place to start is get a copy of the new Hunting Regs when they come out, or, check online at www.wildlifedepartment.com. They have the regs there you can check out. Bullets for prairie dogs will only anger even a medium sized hog. Don't use them. Get varmint bullets for varmints, and big game bullets for hogs. Also, don't forget the necessity for a license if what you want to hunt calls for it. (You won't need one for hogs unless you're on department land)

Also, there is a list of public hunting lands there that you can find maps for.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks so the public land, do you just show up and shoot??

Not all public lands are open to shooting. some are only open for Bow, and others for shotgun only. You will need to check out the area where your headed for their specific regs. Wildlifedepartment.com is a good place to start.
In that link you will find the phone #'s of the area biologist for the public lands, as well as phone #'s of the game rangers for that area. I'll call both, and see what information they can give. I've learned a lot from talking to the area biologist before visiting an area. Lots of hogs in the Lawton area. Its not that far from you and last time I was down that way, the biologist told me of some problem areas they had with hogs. We didn't get one, but saw lots of sign. Love vally wma is another area that comes to mind.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the biologist at Waurika WMA...he said they have a lot of hogs up there right now and even told me exactly where to find them this time of year. Then he told me they only allow hunting with 22 rimfire and shotgun with pellets. I'm not a fan of hunting hogs with shotguns, and I wonder how many 22 rimfire shots it would take to bring down a hog? Either one well placed one to the head or about 20 into the same entrance wound on the shoulder?

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the biologist at Waurika WMA...he said they have a lot of hogs up there right now and even told me exactly where to find them this time of year. Then he told me they only allow hunting with 22 rimfire and shotgun with pellets. I'm not a fan of hunting hogs with shotguns, and I wonder how many 22 rimfire shots it would take to bring down a hog? Either one well placed one to the head or about 20 into the same entrance wound on the shoulder?

Is buck shot considered pellets still?

Either way I'd be happy to go check out the land with you tex.

And as for the OP, like Danny said. Plain Jain FMJ's... cheapest bullets you can find will work for prairie dogs, but you will want some heavier stuff for the hogs. Read the thread I started entitled "which gun for hog hunting." Mixed throughout there are some good responses people gave about what ammo works.... Some said FMJ is fine, but most say you want to get a heavier bullet than 55 grains if you can with soft tip, hollow point, something...

okladucks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot several hogs with turkey loads during the spring. In fact, I shot 2 sows with them this year. They were abot 30 yards away when I shot. Do whatever it takes to kill them.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm down with that, Shooter.

I guess my best bet would be a 22 mag, but I'm still wondering how well that's gonna work with hogs.

The biologist said that some guys who had ag leases in the WMA were complaining about the hogs..you'd think that would mean they could at least let us come in there with 22/230's.

Anyway, lets set that up and go see what it's all about.

Mr. E

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take both, then you'll have a choice or a backup. Load your little marlin 60 up with stingers put the crosshairs on the ear and they'll usually hit the dirt. I don't think you would get any grief for buckshot. just call and ask

Latest posts

Top Bottom