couple of ?'s about hog/pdog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the WMA regs BEFORE you shoot a pdog! I think they are off limits on all WMAs but I could be mistaken. I know that they were in all the WMAs in the panhandle as of a couple of years ago though so check. Hogs are completely different. Shoot all of those you want and shoot more for the yotes.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are very proficient with a .22 mag and CAN hit a pig in the ear at a safe distance then take a gun with more than enough energy to anchor the animal. A wounded pig can turn on an individual and rip him with his tusks or hooves before you can react. A pack of feral hogs will turn on a wounded pig and rip him apart too. If you get cut or are bleeding then the pigs,when they smell blood, will do the same to you.

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the biologist at Waurika WMA...he said they have a lot of hogs up there right now and even told me exactly where to find them this time of year. Then he told me they only allow hunting with 22 rimfire and shotgun with pellets. I'm not a fan of hunting hogs with shotguns, and I wonder how many 22 rimfire shots it would take to bring down a hog? Either one well placed one to the head or about 20 into the same entrance wound on the shoulder?

Is buck shot considered pellets still?

We've been over this but let's do it again:

No, buckshot is NOT legal shot because it's not BB or smaller.

The BEST way to hunt hogs on such public lands outside of deer gun season is probably with a .22 magnum to the base of the ear (brain shot) - something like a 50 gr federal. Second best way is with a bow. Or first best if you like bow hunting best. Third best (arguably) is to carry a smoothbore shotgun and ONE sighted in slug, and a few BB shots. The game warden couldn't care less what you hunt a hog with *provided* that you're actually hunting HOGS, and not poaching deer. Shot hog with slug. Go home with bacon. Game warden approaches, throw slug in wooods; "See here, I'm hunting hogs/rabbits with this BB shot" ; "Carry on soldier". My opinion anyway. Oh, and it HAS TO ACTUALLY BE some small game season or SOME game season - squirrel, rabbit, etc., so check the regs.

To my way of thinking, it would be (a) unethical, and more importantly (b) severely moronic, to try to hunt hogs with a shotgun BB or smaller as allowed. You just ain't gonna recover them unless it's a football at close range.

CCW Revolver in .45 Colt or bigger for backup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom