Cowboy boots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap they are expensive.

My boys wanted a pair and we were in OKC after Christmas break. I got a little bit of sticker shock as its been a while since I've purchased any cowboy boots. I figured we could pick up a pair for $50-$60 for the cheap ones and maybe $80-$100 for the nice ones.

I was wrong. Really wrong.

Since both boys (one just turned 10, the other is 11) are in men's sized, the cheapest pair were some no-name man-made material boots for $79.

That blew me away. I convinced both of them to spend a little extra and get a good pair, but then I noticed that Justins are made in Mexico and Ariats are made in China.

Stilll, they both got a decent pair for $130 (I made them spend their own money, so the decision was a long one - we spent a lot of time in the Western Outlet Store in Moore but my oldest got a nice pair of Justins and my youngest got a nice pair of Ariats).

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't know about the ones your boys were looking at, and this really only applies to people whose feet have stopped growing, but a quality pair of boots can last years, if not decades. Yeah, they can be expensive, but i still have a pair that i bought six years ago and expect another 14 out of them. I think i paid close to $200, but that is very reasonable if you figure out how much a new pair of shoes costs yeah year, or every few years.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't know about the ones your boys were looking at, and this really only applies to people whose feet have stopped growing, but a quality pair of boots can last years, if not decades. Yeah, they can be expensive, but i still have a pair that i bought six years ago and expect another 14 out of them. I think i paid close to $200, but that is very reasonable if you figure out how much a new pair of shoes costs yeah year, or every few years.

^This. If you are an adult, I wouldn't worry about spending a few hundred on good boots.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever drive up to MO for any reason, stop by Monett. There's a Justin's factory outlet there that has(or at least used to have) pretty decent deals on factory seconds(blemish type, a bad stitch or otherwise). It's right off of 60 and his a silo that makes up the entrance into the building, all painted red and white.

The factory in Cassville is still operating, dunno how much work they do though.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't wear mine much. Enough to justify owning them really. I paid around $80 for my pair of Justin's. If memory serves me right, I bought these back in 2001 or 2002. So 8-9 years of very mild use. I have had to polish them up a couple of times due to scuffs.

I have a friend that spent $200+ on a pair of boots because they looked cool. Funny thing is his wife saw them then demanded, yes demanded, he buy her a pair of boots. He spent another $200 plus. I can't remember the last time I saw them wear their boots.

I worked with a guy that only wore cowboy boots. He was in his mid 60's at the time. Only wore Nocona boots. No telling how many different pairs he had. No telling how much money he spent on boots.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Do you mind sharing which ones can you get 20 years out of? Maybe there is some I never had before.

Best I ever got was 4 years out of some Dan Post and the worst was Wolverines-3 months I think. I've had about everything in between.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you mind sharing which ones can you get 20 years out of? Maybe there is some I never had before.

Best I ever got was 4 years out of some Dan Post and the worst was Wolverines-3 months I think. I've had about everything in between.

haven't personally had any 20 year pair yet (being 28 and all), but i expect there are several brands that will last that long if cared for properly. I'm not saying you'll still be on the same sole or heel or anything, but those can be replaced.

And again, even if you don't get 20 years out of your pair, if a pair can be repaired and worn for even 10 years then you're still getting your money's worth. Some boots are for show and some are for work, how you treat them matters.

I am partial to double H boots, though. They have a rubber sole, which i like since i don't like the idea of slipping with a smoothed sole (bad back).

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about $3500 on a pair? Curls your hair.

Buddy of mine used to go to Tijuana every year, sometimes twice, and had a couple of shops that he used. He has a whole bunch of custom fitted hand made exotics that are every bit the caliber you are talking. But he didn't have to pay near that for them. It was amazing the craftsmanship that $375 would get you. But sadly those days are gone now...

Latest posts

Top Bottom