@)*$)(*@ Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are becoming way too thick here. I have trailcam video of them chasing deer; full grown deer (bucks even), not just fawns and small does. A neighbor friend has grunted (yes, deer) up a few coyotes now and said one came in to rattle. I've noticed the deer population out here this year is down and I'm starting to think the coyote population has at least attributed to it. Is anyone seeing anything similar?

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A game warden friend of mine had to dispatch a buck after 4 coyotes had chased it into a river. It had broken it's leg running from them he said.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few years ago at Love WMA a single coyote chasing a big buck seen by 3 buddies there bird hunting...
Deer came running out of the woods about 3/4 speed right by them....Then a coyote comes out..they were all shocked and both deer and coyote disappeared into the woods..

A few seconds later they hear some thrashing and the buck runs back out a bit slower ..then the coyote again in chase.
They were ready this time and let that dog have all the bird shot they had....
The buck stops at the edge of the woods and looks back at all 3 of them, looks for a good 10 seconds like saying thanks, then walks into the woods.

Sometimes it does not take a pack of them if one is hungry.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen several this morning. Here is one I just snapped a pic of.
20131118_102747.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen several this morning. Here is one I just snapped a pic of.
View attachment 33776

Looks like a "target" of opportunity to me...

I have seen more than a few deer taken down by coyotes and wild dogs in my time, and if I can ever get the crosshairs settled on the target, it's lights out!

I was checking one on my game cameras well before bow season this year, and about 50 yds. or so back behind the tree I had the camera strapped to, I heard the most gosh awful SCREAM come from a young doe. When I got to to her, there were five coyotes trying to pull her in five different directions at the same time. The coyotes just looked up at me, growled and continued tearing at that poor little deer. No gun in hand or on my hip, so I hot footed it back to the house, grabbed my revolver and in less than 5 minutes, I was back where the deer was, and they were all gone! There was just a string of guts from the deer but, the coyotes and deer were gone...

Never again have I gone out on the property without being armed....

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D&T I won't shoot on somebody else property without permission. In my line of work, I am on far too many properties to acquire hunting permission on all of those properties. Likewise, company policy forbids possession of firearms in company vehicles.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite stand hasn't produced any deer sightings in several weeks, which is out of the ordinary. I had seen a pack of 3 dogs twice from that stand this year but could never get a shot. This morning they came through with 2 more dogs. The pack leader stopped at 30 yards but my arrow only clipped it's leg/chest and wasn't fatal. 5 minutes later 2 different dogs showed up. When they got to 25 yards, I double lunged the larger of the two. I disdain packs of dogs running anywhere, especially during hunting season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom