Crank Operated Emergency Radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several radios that I can use to get severe weather information, but they are all battery dependent. So I have been thinking of adding a crank operated emergency radio. When I started researching the radios, I was really surprised at all the features available now beyond the simple crank charger. The USB charger looks like a great feature for charging cell phones.

I was thinking of getting this radio:

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...id=1370359190&sr=8-7&keywords=emergency+radio

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41SiBt_2BwqtL._SX355_.jpg

I'm also thinking of creating some kind of low voltage LED emergency lighting system for my house. I thought I would start with something portable to extend its usefuleness, then build upon that.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are two more things to look at for power outages that have been useful for me...short of buying a gas powered generator:

Some kind of a jump box. These are used to jump start a vehicle, but they come with 12VDC "cigarette lighter style" outlets and USB outlets, as well as a built in light.
This will run anything that you can run through a car's power outlet.
http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-p...ockType=G1&PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:4:0

Power Inverter. These plug into your car's 12VDC power outlets. Converts your car's DC to household current.
If your vehicle is running, then you can use household items on it.
If the item is high voltage, youattach it directly to your battery rather than your car outlet.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumache...-Battery-Clamps-and-12V-Male-Adapter/15167367

These are both items that have uses outside of an emergency.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Eton "Red Cross" crank-chargeable Wx radio that will charge a cellphone (or anything that can be charged via standard 5V1A USB). It's a decent little unit, but the power button can be...annoying. I turned it on last Friday to tune in KOMA to make sure I could get the weather coverage, and I thought sure I'd turned it back off, but later that night on my way back home I heard a faint noise coming form my passenger seat. Sure as God made little green apples, that damned radio was playing. Later that night it was somehow on again, and I didn't think I was ever going to get it to shut the hell up--I kept pressing the buttons and finally found the magic combination to turn it off, because the power button alone did jack.

Other than that, it has been a useful little device...

Edit: This is it: http://amzn.com/B004P0MVHG

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Eton Grundig that I have had for around 15 years, and it has been flawless. I check it every year for batteries, etc. We have used it several times during power outages, gets good reception, volume is loud even during storms. It has a decent flashlight built in, still have the original bulb. Mine is so old that they didn't have USB or cell chargers on them. I really like the one in the OP, but am thinking maybe a couple for the cars like are in Shadowriders post too.

I couldn't tell if either one of them have a SW band available, but not sure how useful that really is, I have not used mine. I guess the thought is that if the stations go down, you could pick up some SW chatter? I don't know if I have ever tried to hear on those bands, might have to try it and see.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the C. Crane Solar Observer. It can run off batteries, 110, the crank dynamo or its little solar panel. I'm quite pleased.

I'm a HUGE C. Crane radio fan! I use one for my main radio for the digital tuning and exceptional AM radio reception. But the Solar Observer does not have a digital tuner like the Ambient Weather model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom