Crap ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend had good results with the Privi Match stuff before he started reloading, +1 to whoever suggested it.

The privi match stuff isn't half bad. Their .223 69gr comes out of my rifle about 1 MOA pretty consistently (would probably be better if I practiced more, too!).

The whole issue IS price though. Surplus ammo is exactly that, surplus, not match.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZ,
Look at this way. Handloading is the only way you are going to get good ammo. 30 cal. bullets about .32 each, primer, about .05, powder, about .20. This amounts of $.57/round, not counting the cases. I recently bought some once fired mil brass for $28/100. Taking care of the cases I can easily get 10-20 fireings per case. So you are loading for about $0.60/round. Look around on ebay or gunbroker, etc for dies and presses. Probably get all the gear you need for $100-125. Learn what your rifle likes and you will love it. You will never know the potential of that nice rifle shooting factory ammo, never....... FWIW.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need a single stage man. Even if you can only scrounge 30 minutes of time per session. Once you get setup, you're only a few 30 minute sessions away from rolling out a batch that is to your own personal spec. Spend 30 minutes on depriming, 30 minutes on case care, 30 minutes priming, 30 minutes on powder, 30 mins on seating... and you're there.

Or, for only a little more, get a turret press and enjoy the ability to run off small test batches very rapidly. Batch loading with an electronic powder dispenser can get you partway to progressive speed too.

And, you can do this for probably less than you can get for one of your kids, so the family stays intact.

Another option is to get into a barter situation with a good reloader. That takes a high degree of trust. Better pick a good one. CB

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I threw the calipers on my new box of winchester supreme ballistic silver tip, You would think at $36 a box after tax that you would be getting a more cosistent round than a $17 box of remington PSP.... wrong. The range of OAL variation was 16 thousandths, My .45 acp reloads off a lee pro 1000 are consistently the same.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I threw the calipers on my new box of winchester supreme ballistic silver tip, You would think at $36 a box after tax that you would be getting a more cosistent round than a $17 box of remington PSP.... wrong. The range of OAL variation was 16 thousandths, My .45 acp reloads off a lee pro 1000 are consistently the same.

Oh crap - don't even tell me that. That's one of the few types of ammo that I've found to be reasonably consistent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom