Crap ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZ,
Looks like you have a nice rig there. You spent all that money for a Broughton barrel, now you want to shoot crap ammo down it and expect wonders? Get real man. Crap, cheap ammo shoots that way. I suggest you lean to handload. Good ammo costs money. I have two Benchrest rifles and my ammo costs about .85 per empty before I spend a bunch of time to make it true. Why wear out that good barrel shooting turds down it?

Donald

Yep - that's what I said. I want to shoot crap ammo. No, wait, that's totally not what I said at all.

I'm looking for cheap ammo that's better than the crap I've been finding. I was hoping to find some locally, but I guess I'm stuck with online ordering.

It just bugs me that I can find fairly consistent cheap .223 at Wal-Mart and get decent groups out of my AR, yet with .308, there doesn't seem to be too much out there that isn't crap for less than about $1.25 per round.

I've mulled around the reloading idea for a while, but I just don't have the time - I barely get out to the range as it is and with 3 kids in all sorts of sports/extra curricular activities, I just know that I'll spend the money and reload about 100rds and then leave the reloading setup in the garage and not ever get to it again.

I can hand-pick the rounds out of the crap ammo and get sub MOA groups, but I'm paying for 20rds and getting 8-12 usable rounds at that point.

Thanks for the suggestions - looks like I'm going to be making a reasonably large ammo order pretty soon.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
You get what you pay for.
For about 1/3 or less of what you have tied up in that rifle combo you could set yourself up to load serious precision ammo. The quantity that you are going to be looking at means you don't need a progressive press to crank out hundreds of rounds an hour.
Seriously if you are going to demand that kind of quality ammo the only way you are going to get it without paying out the wazoo is to make it yourself.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You get what you pay for.
For about 1/3 or less of what you have tied up in that rifle combo you could set yourself up to load serious precision ammo. The quantity that you are going to be looking at means you don't need a progressive press to crank out hundreds of rounds an hour.
Seriously if you are going to demand that kind of quality ammo the only way you are going to get it without paying out the wazoo is to make it yourself.

Again, its not a matter of money, but time man - someday when I have the time, I'll definitely get into reloading, but for now - it just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I'm not demanding much - just little things like the same OAL for all rounds in a package (doesn't even have to be exact). The same brass for all rounds in a package.

I don't know - I've only experienced this sloppy quality with .308 - I'm sure other rifle calibers are similar, but I've not seen it in .223 or smaller yet.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel ya, brother. I went a step farther...I bought a complete reloading set up, but haven't had time to touch it. Maybe in a year or two... :grumble:

Retirement will be nice! I'll just reload ALL day...but that is several decades from now.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EZ, I will throw this out here for ya..
You will never get the potential out of that red hot stick of yours until you do the homework. You will never get close to what its capable of using box ammo period.
You can develop a load that is relatively cheap compared to box ammo that will make one hole.
You do it by finding out which bullet type/weight, how long it needs to be which powder and how much and some case care.
My old M1A would shoot moa but with only 2 load combo's.
Everything else was 3'' on up.
You've gotta re-load or your never gonna get what u really want.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Cheese and rice man. You've got time to surf the net. How much time do you spend in front of the tube watching "the game"?
How much time do you think it takes?
You can crank out 100 rounds on a single stage set-up in 2-1/2 - 3 hours.
You don't even have to do it all at the same time.
You could spread it out over a week or two and hardly notice the time spent.
300-400 rounds a month spread out over the month would be time never missed.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need a single stage man. Even if you can only scrounge 30 minutes of time per session. Once you get setup, you're only a few 30 minute sessions away from rolling out a batch that is to your own personal spec. Spend 30 minutes on depriming, 30 minutes on case care, 30 minutes priming, 30 minutes on powder, 30 mins on seating... and you're there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom