Currently Awaiting CCW Permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus000

New to the site!
Reaction score
So given that this is my first post on this board (I've been a member at GlockTalk for a while, but for some reason didn't run across this board until earlier this week), I figured I'd start out with a question for you guys/gals.

I submitted my CCW application in Sequoyah County in early August. It was thereafter sent to OSBI on August 18. So, I should hear back firmly in the next two weeks (Nov. 16 at the latest would be 90 days by my count where my packet is in OSBI's possession).

In the meantime, I sent (yesterday, Nov. 5) a polite e-mail to the SDA office asking if there was any further information they might need for my packet, since it had been around 80 days. I stated that I would be happy to provide anything else should they need it; I also inquired as to the status of my application.

I received this in reply:

We have completed the process on your application and you should be
receiving a letter with in the next two weeks.

I then sent another short missive asking if this meant that I could assume that I was processed and approved. This reply followed that question:

You will be getting a letter within the next 2 to 3 weeks letting you
know whether your application was approved or denied. Your license will
go the sheriff's office if approved, if the application was not approved
then the letter will let you know why the application was denied and
what options are available to you.

Is it just me, or does this constitute bad news? I, for the life of me, cannot fathom any reason that I would not be approved for a CCW, given that I've read and understand the SDA guidelines, and can find no instance where I would be precluded.

Anybody else get these types of answers when inquiring as to the status of their application?

Thanks!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no, I would guess you are good to go. I would also guess that your local sheriff may have your permit. Many folks, myself included got their letter several weeks after the permit. Canadian county is quick to call once they have it in their possession. Might call now as they are probably closed over the weekend.

Lotus000

New to the site!
Reaction score
no, I would guess you are good to go. I would also guess that your local sheriff may have your permit. Many folks, myself included got their letter several weeks after the permit. Canadian county is quick to call once they have it in their possession. Might call now as they are probably closed over the weekend.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm crossing my fingers I didn't screw up the application or anything.

If anybody else wanted to chime in, it'd be much appreciated by me. ;-)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That was the case for me. Three months after I submitted my application, I got that acknowledgment letter, dated a month before the postmark date, and I stopped by the Tulsa County Sheriff's office the next day. Surprise, surprise, they had my permit just sitting there.

tacoma

Marksman
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me. About two weeks ago, think it was on a Thurs I received the same email.5 days later I called and they did not have my license. The next day I called it just arrived on that days mail. I still havent received the packet. If you check early next week, I bet they have it.

Lotus000

New to the site!
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me. About two weeks ago, think it was on a Thurs I received the same email.5 days later I called and they did not have my license. The next day I called it just arrived on that days mail. I still havent received the packet. If you check early next week, I bet they have it.

That's a bit of a relief.

I, for the life of me, do not understand why the reply e-mail they sent me had to be so terribly cryptic. The whole CCW application is about as non-transparent as you can get to begin with, but then when 80 days have passed and you're curious as to the status of your application (which seems pretty natural) they send you THAT kind of e-mail? Completely cryptic, ambiguous, and irritating, if you ask me.

I can somewhat see them not wanting to tell somebody over the e-mail "yeah, you've been approved" or "sorry we precluded you" but c'mon, they have your information in front of them, would it take an act of God (or Congress....) to simply reply with a 'yes' or 'no' when somebody writes in? Common courtesy runs both ways.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I never even got a letter or a phone call. A few guys who submitted the application at the same time as me got letters. The next week I called the Sheriff's office and they said it was not in yet. The next day I happened to be downtown for another reason and stopped by in person and it was there and had been for a couple of weeks. To me it wasn't a big deal, since I already had a non-resident CCW permit from another state that was good until the end of the year. This was last year in Tulsa county.

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theres nothing like them waiting untill the very last day for renewals. My old one was going to expire on 10/25/09. 10/25/09 the mail carrier drove up out front and honked her horn.(that's her way of saying,hey someone inside needs to come out here and sign for this).Sure enough,it was my NEW 10yr License.:mosh:

Latest posts

Top Bottom