Cuts to food aid looming for thousands of needy Oklahomans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Department of Human Services says monthly benefits once called food stamps will be reduced by $36 for family of four beginning Nov. 1

More than 600,000 Oklahomans who receive state food aid will see their monthly benefits reduced beginning Nov. 1, Department of Human Services officials announced Wednesday

The benefits, formerly known as food stamps, are expected to be cut by $36 for a family of four with no earnings, DHS officials estimated.

The same family, officials said, stands to lose the equivalent of 21 meals a month.

“It will definitely affect me,” said Succentto Jackson, 34, of Oklahoma City, the mother of five children between the ages of 7 and 11. “Being a parent, you always have to find a way to make sure your children are fed.”

Jackson's children attend Britton Elementary School, where nearly every student is eligible for a free or reduced lunch.

She receives $659 per month in food assistance from the state, and said the cuts will force her to be more creative with her food budget.

“I'm not going to complain because they are helping me out,” she said.

Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, federal benefits were increased to counter the effects of the recession.

Those increased benefits are set to expire Oct. 31.

“It's going to be really difficult for these folks who are struggling to cut down even more,” said Mark Beutler, a DHS spokesman. “We want people to be aware of this early enough so they can plan their budgets.”

The state stands to lose $66 million in federal food assistance benefits based on 615,000 recipients, or 16 percent of the state's population, the spokesman said.

Beutler called the cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program “unprecedented” because every person receiving food aid will be affected, regardless of the amount of assistance they are receiving.

“There has never been an across-the-board cut like this to all SNAP recipients,” he said. “Every person will see a decrease.”

The U.S. House is expected to vote Thursday on a bill by Rep. Frank Lucas, R-Cheyenne, that would cut another $40 billion from SNAP over the next 10 years and toughen work requirements for recipients.

http://newsok.com/cuts-to-food-aid-looming-for-thousands-of-needy-oklahomans/article/3884265

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$659 per month are you ****ting me?

I have 5 kids and I don't spend $659 per month on food. I spend about $200-250 every two weeks.

Seriously lady start some rump roast in a crock pot or something. Green beans are on sale at Crest right now for 24 cents.

Jesus.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$659 per month are you ****ting me?

I have 5 kids and I don't spend $659 per month on food. I spend about $200-250 every two weeks.

Seriously lady start some rump roast in a crock pot or something. Green beans are on sale at Crest right now for 24 cents.

Jesus.

That's where I was headed. $659 a month AND her kids eat for free or reduced at school? Holy crap.

I feed my family of 5 for less every month AND have to pay or send them with lunch.

We are doomed when a $36 dollar cut in a handout is labelled as "unprecedented" and something that will cause "difficulty".

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need is relative, especially when it comes to other's money. These needy people spend my money to buy food and their money buy stuff I can't, or wish not to afford!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering about this whole deal. I have no kids - by choice - so it's a bit hard for me to understand why a woman would have five kids on her own. I'm sure there are situations where that just can't be helped, such as having triplets, but popping out kids five separate times? Then needing assistance to keep them all fed? Um. I'll refrain from further comment on this, but I do wonder if those monthly benefits are limited in some way to essential food stuffs like hamburger and milk, or if they can be used to buy luxury foods like steaks and caviar?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering about this whole deal. I have no kids - by choice - so it's a bit hard for me to understand why a woman would have five kids on her own. I'm sure there are situations where that just can't be helped, such as having triplets, but popping out kids five separate times? Then needing assistance to keep them all fed? Um. I'll refrain from further comment on this, but I do wonder if those monthly benefits are limited in some way to essential food stuffs like hamburger and milk, or if they can be used to buy luxury foods like steaks and caviar?
I agree. Its time to phase in a program to SNAP those legs shut if you are on government program because you can't afford the kids you have.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Its time to phase in a program to SNAP those legs shut if you are on government program because you can't afford the kids you have.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did they mention how much food aid increased over the previous 10 years? Was it ahead of the CPI curve?

Edit: Found a graph, which I'm not posting, but suffice to say here are some numbers:

Federal outlays for food stamps went from 24.2B in 2000 to 82.9B in 2013. So....make your own judgments. the OA doesn't mention the actual average benefit amount for the previous 10 years running.

Latest posts

Top Bottom