Cutting Shotgun Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
18 1/2 barrels are not that expensive but if your dead set on hacking it Id put masking tape on it then very slowly cut it off with a pipe cutter then file it true.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
18 1/2 barrels are not that expensive but if your dead set on hacking it Id put masking tape on it then very slowly cut it off with a pipe cutter then file it true.

Pipecutter will not turn all the way around a vent rib barrel. Plus it will put a slight taper to the inside of the barrel, which will have to be reamed.

Plus, not all barrel bores are centered. One side may be thicker the the other. it needs to be miked to see how thick the wall thickness is if you plan on having it threaded for choke tubes.

They make different thickness tubes and different thread count.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pipecutter will not turn all the way around a vent rib barrel. Plus it will put a slight taper to the inside of the barrel, which will have to be reamed.

Plus, not all barrel bores are centered. One side may be thicker the the other. it needs to be miked to see how thick the wall thickness is if you plan on having it threaded for choke tubes.

They make different thickness tubes and different thread count.

If you go really easy the taper would be minimal and a flat file will take care of that.

As for a 500 AG having a vent rib..... Yea.... I dropped the ball on that one.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just checked those sites out and man o' man those barrels cost dam near more than the gun. I think i better just hack it off and call it a day.

I have never done any handy work like this EVER in my life... well besides screwing together my new bed frame a few months back so this will be my biggest challenge yet. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom