Cutting Shotgun Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First measure the length you want to cut off the barrel. Take a wooden dowel rod (that is longer than your current barrel) and measure 18.5 (or what ever length you want) from one end. Mark that measurement with with a sharpie. Next make sure your action of closed and then insert the dowel rod all the way to the bolt face. The mark the dowel at the end of the barrel. Take the dowel out and measure the distance between the two marks. The offset distance what you will mark on the barrel. Clamp the barrel in a vise with brass jaws (or use leather over steel jaws). Take a pipe cutter and score a line around the barrel at the sharpie mark you just made. This will give you a square score line around the barrel. Then use a hacksaw and cut the barrel back. Take your time and follow the score line. Use some oil to lube the blade and speed up the cutting action. Once your all the way through, check for square. Use a file to square up the cut even more in need be. Then polish the steel with sandpaper. Start will 120 grit and move up to 400 or 600 grit wet/dry paper for the final. Then touch up the bare metal with your favorite cold blue. I don't use cold bluing very much, but when I do I use Oxpho Blue or Vans. Let me know if you have any questions.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mechanical Accuracy does good work at reasonable prices. Learning by doing is great if you are willing to risk an ugly and possibly poorly functioning outcome. CB

Jesse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut it your self. U can do it and like they have said it is not a medical college exam. If u are not that familiar with metal work, grab some help from a buddy or just get some advice from a smith or gun nut.....goood luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom