Cycle your CC ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You were counseled right about chambering a loose round. The likely result will be a broken extractor in some models. Kahr comes to mind. Don't ask me how I know this.

I have done it repeatedly with Sig, Para, Kimber's, XD's, M&P's, Glock's with no ill effect. Never owned a Kahr. Never have had a broken pistol extractor. Now that I say that it will happen the next time I do it. :)

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done it repeatedly with Sig, Para, Kimber's, XD's, M&P's, Glock's with no ill effect. Never owned a Kahr. Never have had a broken pistol extractor. Now that I say that it will happen the next time I do it. :)
I manually load a single round I only glock every time I carry. I was racking the slide to load a round and it was ruining my ammo. It is too dang expensive to just shoot when it gets wore out. So I try and make it last as long as possible. I have never heard of loading a single round and then letting the slide go hurting anything. Don't make sense to me why it would. But I am no expert.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I manually load a single round I only glock every time I carry. I was racking the slide to load a round and it was ruining my ammo. It is too dang expensive to just shoot when it gets wore out. So I try and make it last as long as possible. I have never heard of loading a single round and then letting the slide go hurting anything. Don't make sense to me why it would. But I am no expert.
When you manually load a round then close the slide the extractor has to travel over the rim of the cartridge, rather than it already being in front of the rim as when a round is loaded from a mag. It's the popping over the cartridge rim that can damage the extractor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you manually load a round then close the slide the extractor has to travel over the rim of the cartridge, rather than it already being in front of the rim as when a round is loaded from a mag. It's the popping over the cartridge rim that can damage the extractor.

Yep. Thanks. I'd lost track of this thread, and that's what happened to my Kahr....twice.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry an HK P2000 LEM in .357 SIG. Just last weekend I decided it was time for a little "proof of concept." Took the pistol out in my normal loaded condition plus my normal carry extra mag. Went walking down the creek plinking here and there. Fired all 12+1 out of the initial load. Then all 12 from the spare mag. All fired and cycled just fine. And hit whatever I aimed at. Nice shooting gun and ammo... no problems at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, what sort of case or holster do you keep the gun and ammunition stored in? I wonder if nickel plated ammunition would have faired any better under those storage conditions.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, what sort of case or holster do you keep the gun and ammunition stored in? I wonder if nickel plated ammunition would have faired any better under those storage conditions.

This particular pistol is kept in my pickup under the seat in a Don Hume leather holster, so I can grab and conceal it when getting out somewhere.
It's a farm truck, so I'm suspecting mud getting tracked in and creating a high humidity inside when the windows are rolled up.
Hadn't thought of the nickel cases. Good idea if there is some good defensive ammo out there that uses it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom