CZ 512 Carbine - Range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How are the sights? Looked at a 512 .22 mag last summer and passed on it but kind of wished I hadn't. If I run onto another I would probably want to add a rear receiver sight.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Rawhide:

The sights don't have much of a radius,,,
Somewhere between 10 & 11 inches.

It's somewhat similar to a scout rifle configuration.

But they are very easy to align,,,
The rear sights are very close to those on the 452 Military Trainer.

The rear is a Ramp type with graduated range steps,,,
The front sight is a red fiber optic that I like very much.

Aarond

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up one of these in .22 WMR last week. My first thought was "Holy crap, this thing is short". It's actually shorter than my 10-22 carbine--very handy.

I chose to go with a scope, so I mounted a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40. After trying several different brands and weights, I found that it prefers Maxi-Mag 30gr HP-V. At 50 yards it was averaging .5" groups, and the last group of the day was .360". Think I'm in love.

The trigger is much nicer than I anticipated, but on my first range trip it randomly failed to reset. The disconnector must have been out of spec, but after some judicious re-contouring it resets every time.

I've handled 597s and A22s, and this carbine is in a different class altogether. Highly recommended if you're looking for a great .22WMR semi-auto.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up one of these in .22 WMR last week. My first thought was "Holy crap, this thing is short". It's actually shorter than my 10-22 carbine--very handy.

I chose to go with a scope, so I mounted a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40. After trying several different brands and weights, I found that it prefers Maxi-Mag 30gr HP-V. At 50 yards it was averaging .5" groups, and the last group of the day was .360". Think I'm in love.

The trigger is much nicer than I anticipated, but on my first range trip it randomly failed to reset. The disconnector must have been out of spec, but after some judicious re-contouring it resets every time.

I've handled 597s and A22s, and this carbine is in a different class altogether. Highly recommended if you're looking for a great .22WMR semi-auto.

Is it the black model like the one in this thread or is it the one with the nice wood?

I'm torn right now between the 512 and the Henry Small Game in 22 wmr. The Henry comes with Skinner sights that I would add to a lever gun anyway but I like CZ and like the idea of a semi-auto. What to do?

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it the black model like the one in this thread or is it the one with the nice wood?

I'm torn right now between the 512 and the Henry Small Game in 22 wmr. The Henry comes with Skinner sights that I would add to a lever gun anyway but I like CZ and like the idea of a semi-auto. What to do?

Mine is the same model as the OP. I actually had a Henry SGC, but gave it to my dad. Can't go wrong either way, but I think my 512 is more accurate. And there's just something cool about a semi-auto .22wmr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom