CZ addiction continues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
airheads are my preferred ride .. that's what I'd take on an extended tour.
did the Clayton ride a few months back .. full on motocross trails .. very rocky trails
R80G/S was just too heavy to throw around .. it's the lightest of GS bikes at 368lb dry.
carrying 2 gallons of fuel or just under 390lb .. still too heavy compared to 250lb dirt bikes.

decided it was time to get a light dirt bike .. scored a KTM 200 exc ..

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Andy- There are quite a few parts around. You could build one. I have a buddy that has a complete running R100 engine he'd sell. Titled frames are easy to come by along with all the other parts. They go together like a big model kit and I'd give you a hand with it.

Can you build a cafe out of one of these?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you build a cafe out of one of these?

Bigtime. There's a huge following of people building wicked Airheads. It started back in the 70s with the the factory-sponsored race teams. The R90S that CY has is a street version of a factory race bike. I've had some ideas in my head for awhile and am planning to build one this year.

Here's an idea of what can be done:

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_photo2_zps3e9cf12f.jpg

Factory-backed 750 race bike circa 1973-

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_BMW_Bonhams_Iom_SSBike_2013_zps776bb3b0.jpg

Last edited:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that bike doesn't have the sectioned frame. are you still going to go that route steve?

Yep. They could get by without the sectioned frame since it doesn't have side cross-braces welded in and they can still get the engine in and out. Mine will have those so I'll make the right side of the cradle removable. I've got some close-up pics somewhere of Brad Phillips' frames so I'll be using them as a guide. He builds some wicked stuff.

You can see how the engine is tilted up in the frame, giving it better alignment with the driveshaft. You then have to machine a spacer between the output flange and the driveshaft, which eliminates the rubber boot. It won't be a foul-weather bike at all since a lot of stuff will be open to the elements.

One of Brad's machines-

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_BMW_54043bf1ea08083cbfee1c8e99098561_zps05ba5016.jpg

Last edited:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
an airhead thread .. I like it!!!

here CZ 452 is getting fitted with Leupold EFR scope which cost more than the 452

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_452v6.JPG

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I'm not trying to highjack this CZ thread and let me say now that I'm a big beemer fan having owned a '62 R50/2, '72 R60/5, '78 R80/7 and '84 R65LS...BUT, if you want a cool café bike build a Triton. Yes, Reg Pridmore had an awesome run at Daytona but Bay-M-Vay's are a touring bike.
For you youngsters, a Triton is a Triumph engine in a Norton featherbed frame; http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=triton+motorcycles&qpvt=triton+motorcycles&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=F069BB04795F56EA3D62FA42426B61B03338C7B2&selectedIndex=2

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to highjack this CZ thread and let me say now that I'm a big beemer fan having owned a '62 R50/2, '72 R60/5, '78 R80/7 and '84 R65LS...BUT, if you want a cool café bike build a Triton. Yes, Reg Pridmore had an awesome run at Daytona but Bay-M-Vay's are a touring bike.
For you youngsters, a Triton is a Triumph engine in a Norton featherbed frame; http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=triton+motorcycles&qpvt=triton+motorcycles&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=F069BB04795F56EA3D62FA42426B61B03338C7B2&selectedIndex=2

Threadjack away, Chief! I'm such a diehard Beemer fan (plus I have lots of parts), that building a track\cafe out of one just makes sense. Not to say I wouldn't like to have some Brit stuff. I don't have any so it would be a sizable investment to get into Brits. I also have a soft spot for Ducati but I'm not quite that adventurou$.

Latest posts

Top Bottom