DA issues with S&W 36

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a model 36-1 3" a few months back, and am having some issues with it. SA it fires good, think I had one fail to fire, which I could blame on primer; but DA, I'm only firing maybe 1/3-/12 first try. Had to rotate cylinder 3x firing DA to fire all 5 rounds. Does this sound like a mainspring issue, or more to it?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like some jackass may have tried to do a "trigger job" on it, by trimming off a coil to lighten the trigger pull. Or, it could be out of time.

Either way, I would take it to a competent smitty that knows how to properly work on S&W revolvers. Not some bubba who can "take a gander at it."

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm only firing maybe 1/3-/12 first try.
What does that mean?

Had to rotate cylinder 3x firing DA to fire all 5 rounds
You saying you had to manually rotate the cylinder to index it or to get it to lock up?

Or you saying your getting light primer strikes?

Take your pistola, empty the ammo from it. Grab a old bic ball point pen, pull the hammer back on your cleared revolver, drop the pen with the small plastic cap that seals the tube down the barrel, point it straight up towards the sky and pull the trigger.

Did the pen shoot out the barrel?

If it went up out of the barrel 3' or higher, you probably do not have a spring problem.

If it stayed in the barrel or bareley made it out, you might have a weak main spring.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OHJEEZE has a good test. But the cylinder not rotating is an entirely different thing. A badly botched trigger job has been mentioned and certainly could be the case and the pistol would have to be looked at. Another thought though a bit odd is that the revolver may have been seveerly over lubed and gotten really dirty inside.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My boss brought me a pre model 10 that he inherited from his FIL. The gun had literally been filled with oil and put in a drawer. I couldn’t even pull the trigger. A good bath in the sonic cleaner with the side plate off was all it needed

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve thought about this, and it does probably have a weak mainspring but could also have a gunked up firing pin.
When I get a new to me j frame, the first thing I do is replace the springs and firing pin, and there are a few good aftermarket sources for parts. I’ve used MCarbo, TK Custom, Apex, and Wilson Combat.
My Smith 637 that carry has Apex springs and firing pin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom