DA issues with S&W 36

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, sorry about the wording, I'll clarify. When I said I had to rotate the cylinder, I meant I fired it 3 rotations before all the rounds actually fired, what I think is light primer strikes. Haven't had the sideplate off yet, but under the grips does appear someone might have tinkered with the mainspring.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, sorry about the wording, I'll clarify. When I said I had to rotate the cylinder, I meant I fired it 3 rotations before all the rounds actually fired, what I think is light primer strikes. Haven't had the sideplate off yet, but under the grips does appear someone might have tinkered with the mainspring.
I understood what you were saying, and if you’re even a little mechanically inclined, changing the springs and firing pin isn’t a tough job. I bet that solves your issue.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How old is it? Does it have a firing pin in the frame or on the hammer. Could well be a dirty or gummed up FP like retrieverman stated if it's frame mounted. The hammer nose FPs were pretty much no fuss but can break. Either way it's easy to fix a FP. I'd recommend an Apex carry duty kit that has an extended FP in it if you have the newer frame mounted pin. Cheap and easy fix even if you don't use the lightened springs.

ETA: I see that you said 36-1 now. That should be an old school leaf mainspring (I think?) and hammer nose FP. Make sure the strain screw isn't back out. They are notorious for that. Use blue locktite on it.

Last edited:

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@retrieverman, you forgot wolff 😁

DF11A4A8-7BC7-41E8-A3C6-0F1D0FF0B325.jpeg

Unless Wolff is no longer in business.

@clintbailey

You can try and add a washer (or two or three 😁) between the hammer spring and the retainer. Note red arrow in the pic.

21280167-C9A6-462A-B77A-2D854518A800.jpeg

Model 49 no dash pictured

You can always change the spring later if adding washers fixes your problem.

It is really easy to do! 👍

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No strain screw on this one, and hammer mounted FP IIRC, think I'm just going to order a set of springs. There is a gunsmith here in town that I trust to help if needed. Thinking a factory weight spring kit? I do intend to carry this gun, just got my Simply Rugged holster in yesterday for it!

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like them S&W's just don't agree with you, Clint. I will trade you a dependable gun straight across for it. I know, I know I will be getting the short end but what are friends for? A High Point will serve you well, notice I didn't say nice, pretty or any other BS, just dependable.
:Heya:

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No strain screw on this one, and hammer mounted FP IIRC, think I'm just going to order a set of springs. There is a gunsmith here in town that I trust to help if needed. Thinking a factory weight spring kit? I do intend to carry this gun, just got my Simply Rugged holster in yesterday for it!
Try the washer trick and see if it improves your functionability!

Latest posts

Top Bottom