Dadgum Methodists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our local church is going through an upheaval thanks to the latest things being ignored and accepted by some of the Bishops. Just wondering if any of you all’s churches are having the same issues.
Well, according to the conference it’s allowance of homosexuals to marry and minister. According to the parishioners it’s some of that, the allowance of trans ministers, their very soft stance on abortion but mostly how they have refused to follow and openly ignore the rules of discipline set forth and voted on by the church regarding these things

From what I heard yesterday, there are a number of Methodist churches that are undergoing the same quandary as to whether to stay with the "overall" United Methodist Church because of this issue. Family members yesterday were speaking of it and complaining that the "woke" churches were going to get to hold onto the "United Methodist Church" name, and that the non-woke churches couldn't use the "United."

I told them that for the most part, it was just a name on the buildings as it is with all churches. I doubt that God cares what people name their churches.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Isn’t there the ‘United’ Methodist church and the ‘free’ Methodist church? The United gets funds from the ‘big’ church and pays the pastors, welcomes LGBTQIA’s and the free is independent?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As was said earlier, I am sorry some seem to have had bad experiences. We have never experienced that with the churches we have been members of. Most of our group of best friends have come about through our churches. When disasters hit, it’s the churches that you always see on scene providing services. The May 20 2013 tornado in Moore was an excellent example of this. There were groups of volunteers from churches all over the country, many from out of state.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy, I’m glad I never went to your guys churches. Thankfully that hasn’t remotely been my experience and if that’s all you got out of it or ever saw no wonder you don’t want to attend church. Makes me a little sad for you. 😔
Me either, I've had great experiences in church. I'll stick with attending & taking my family. I grew up a boy in the Methodist Church but I'm Baptist now if you need to label me.

I hate to see what's happening to the Methodist, I suspect we'll see that spread out through most major denominations as we get closer to Christ return unfortunately

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Methodist Church that I did my Boy Scout God & Countrý award at is nowhere near the same church in that same building today.
My grandfather literally built all of the plumbing, wiring and mechanical and I was his helper.
My dad is the oldest man on the building board currently and serves as a youth minister to the younger kids.
When I went there with Mom on her last Christmas Eve service, I felt it. From the huge video screens very unattractive hanging on the beautiful wood walls to the thousand of $ they spent on a sound system that is incomplete and too complicated to run by the people that are trying to run it. The lame praise band effort To the political stance of the United Methodist. I didnt like it.
At Mom's funeral my daughter and I could not use the sound system for our pro quality acoustic guitars and vocal mics. We ended up performing without it and sounded good anyway.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As was said earlier, I am sorry some seem to have had bad experiences. We have never experienced that with the churches we have been members of. Most of our group of best friends have come about through our churches. When disasters hit, it’s the churches that you always see on scene providing services. The May 20 2013 tornado in Moore was an excellent example of this. There were groups of volunteers from churches all over the country, many from out of state.

I too went to Moore and volunteered my services for free after the Tornado.
My buddy and some friends were there also and we helped a lot of people for free.
Chainsaw and gloves in hand.

Police were not letting people in some areas and when I came up to them in my 1947 Dodge truck with a gas can and chainsaw and ladder in the back they let me in knowing I was there to help.

Yea I am glad some churches do good things.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We went to a service with my wife’s dad and step mom in mustang one time. Was a Nazarene church I think. The whole sermon was the pastor asking for money for renovations in the church. I couldn’t believe it lmao.

I don’t go to church though anymore. I used to take a Harley trip on sundays when I had a bike. I could either be in church thinking about riding my Harley or I could be on my Harley thinking about God. Churches are no longer what they used to be in my town so I don’t go.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many bibles out there to read from.
Going to a building with other people and listening to their interpretation has not got me any closer to God than staying at home and believing in what I think the book means.

In 7th grade I left the Southern Baptist because I did not believe all the fire and brimstone they spewed.
I walked right out of church and to my home 3 miles away. Grounded for 2 weeks of course.
Went back and got my bicycle stolen.
Tried another church within walking distance of the house.
Stayed for 2 weeks but as a kid the other kids just wanted to mingle.

I wanted nothing to do with the "daycare" kiddie classes and just stayed in the big auditorium the entire time. I dod not want to know anyone at the church I just wanted to learn the word.
Learned no more than I could reading for myself.

Live a good life and be a good person and do good by yourself and by others and that is good enough for me and no "building" with other people can improve upon that for me.

I spent the days with my grandmother taking her food and cooking for her and repairing and cleaning things around her house and just be with her.

I figured the Lord would rather me do that than go to some Church and sit on my butt with ears open .

My bible thumpin siblings and mother and father rarely helped my grandmother out and would even lay the phone down when she called and just let her talk by herself.

Rude!
And send me to church to learn things..Yea right. Learned plenty by myself.

If you love a church I hope you find a good one but if you have an elderly person you know that could use some help now and then do not avoid them.

Never heard that preached in church but I have heard we need money and then send all the kids to a camp or buy new carpet or new pews that were not needed.

Sorry Rant over :)
I’m there with you on many parts of this, we walked away from the church I grew up in after 14 years. When it quit being about the stewardship of being just a genuinely good human and helping those in need along with a change of pastors we decided it was time to walk away. We don’t miss it in the least, and it was funny to me how those who were genuinely good people we are still friends with to this day and had no problem with our decision. But those who were not were the ones that won’t speak to us in public anymore🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Top Bottom